Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 11.33.00.png

Any time I try to use it (contextual menu or Ctrl+Cmd + Space), half the time it doesn't even open and 3 out of 5 times I click one of the emoji and the window closes but doesn't actually insert the emoji. Happens on my iMac and my MacBook Pro (and the MacBook Pro has literally been wiped and set up fresh as of a few days ago with new logic board, not restored from backup).

Am I doing something wrong or is the macOS emoji picker just absolute garbage?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I rarely even use emojis, I didn't even know that this shortcut existed to be honest. I just tested it out now, and it works every time I press Ctrl+Cmd+Space.

👍👍👍

There it goes. One thing I would like though is for the window to stay there until I tell it to go away. You have to pick the emoji then open the window again to pick another one.

Reactions: twistedpixel8

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Of course it's working fine for me now... I just needed to post this thread because I guess that's how Mac goes for me: something is totally broken for years driving me crazy but then I post about it asking if anyone else has the issue and it immediately becomes fixed for me 🤪 I should post about all the other annoyances I have and see if they instantaneously resolve themselves as well 🤣

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Of course it's working fine for me now... I just needed to post this thread because I guess that's how Mac goes for me: something is totally broken for years driving me crazy but then I post about it asking if anyone else has the issue and it immediately becomes fixed for me 🤪 I should post about all the other annoyances I have and see if they instantaneously resolve themselves as well 🤣
Understandable. As for the emoji picker disappearing as soon as you pick the emoji, who in the Apple thought this was a good idea? I saw many people posting several emojis in a row, so to do that you would have to summon the emoji picker each time you want to pick another emoji.

Reactions: arkitect

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2017
Understandable. As for the emoji picker disappearing as soon as you pick the emoji, who in the Apple thought this was a good idea? I saw many people posting several emojis in a row, so to do that you would have to summon the emoji picker each time you want to pick another emoji.
Yeah that's not great UX is it - specially when Apple makes such a big deal about emoji. But I'll take that minor annoyance over having to open it multiple times just to insert a *single* emoji!

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.