Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Do you remember those keychain lights you squeeze or switched on, were bright as hell, and began the "craze" of brite-LED lights on the keychain...which seems to have subsided to the point where googling for them doesnt bring up the precise things Im looking for.

Trying to do color light drawing with a large flashlight and a gel is not gonna cut it. Tiny, bright, and colored LED keychain lights are the answer!

Problem is, I cant seem to find a single site that sells a rainbow of colors. Most sell either white, blue or UV. Id think there would be a site with all the colors to pick from, red, orange, yellow, purple etc.

Anyone seen or heard of such a place?

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Well yes, exactly. You see how easy it is to FIND them, but not find ones with the ability to let me choose a specific color.

If I want a green LED flashlight, cant I buy a green one!?

GuyNextDoor

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Try outdoors stores, like EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports) or Cabela's. I've seen and/or bought white, red, green and blue LED lights (can't say about other colors).

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Your LEDs are nice, but a wee bit $$$ for my purposes.

I mean, the keychain lights are like $3 at the most each, and god forbid I just want them in more than basic red, green, blue and white!

Also, you seem to be in the UK, which would cost more to ship than I think Id like. :rolleyes:

Maybe, I should just buy the damn cheapo ones, buy some colored LEDs, and swap them. Ive got basic soldering skills, but I think Electrical Engineering is past me...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
White LED + GEL

Most colored LEDs are made by combining 3 LED with primary colors.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
At $3 each, why not buy a bunch of white ones and a colour them with a sharpie?

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
i ebayed green led keyring and found exactly what u were asking for

its on the uk one though
and i dont know rules about posting ebay links on the forum

and even saw some all-in-ones where u can change the colour
sounds exactly like the kind of things you're looking for

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Sdashiki,

not sure where you are located, but I was at Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shops the other day and they had some colored LED lights to clip onto the brim of a cap, I think they were maybe $10, 4 LEDs per device, saw white, green, red & purple. Although you probably only want one you could always cover the other 3 with electrical tape etc.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I got mine at a party supply store. They had a few different colors available, sold near the glo sticks.

Radio Shack had a pen light with different color LEDs, but it was expensive.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Exotic colored LED's are VERY hard to find in commercial products.

Usually all you will see is, IR, red, amber, green, blue and white.

luna1234

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Do you remember those keychain lights you squeeze or switched on, were bright as hell, and began the "craze" of brite-LED lights on the keychain...which seems to have subsided to the point where googling for them doesnt bring up the precise things Im looking for.

Trying to do color light drawing with a large flashlight and a gel is not gonna cut it. Tiny, bright, and colored LED keychain lights are the answer!

Problem is, I cant seem to find a single site that sells a rainbow of colors. Most sell either white, blue or UV. Id think there would be a site with all the colors to pick from, red, orange, yellow, purple etc.

Anyone seen or heard of such a place?
Yeah, i bookmarked this link about led keychain lights yesterday from mixx. You can check out to have a look, maybe you can find what you need. Hope it helps!

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
ahh, finally. another person interested in light painting..haha.

well, i do plenty of light painting, soo i can definitely chime in on this topic. the led's i use are just the small ones from walmart which are about 2 bucks for the common white ones.

to get the color ones, i make them myself from radioshack. but i actually wouldn't mind some of the battery powered ones. you can try the ones that go on bicycles/motorcycles powered by the small circle battery.

or try these..http://www.amazon.com/Inova-CB-B-Translucent-Microlight-Cobalt/dp/B000BP516M/ref=pd_sim_hi_3

expensive, but definitely worth it. i actually might pick 3 of those up.

try different tools, be creative. use christmas lights, car lights anything like that.

any questins, send me an email.

visit my page for more example for light painting....

Light Up the Darkness

check it out! my email will be in the contact section or "Shop" section.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.