Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Having/had sleep/wake issues with your P2415Q used with your Mac?

• Nope! (Revision A00)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope! (Revision A01)

• Nope! (Revision A02)

• Total voters

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I've been reading online about how the P2415Q (and possibly Dell monitors in general) has issues with waking from sleep when used with Macs (and sometimes PCs too). Some people say "Hey I got Revision A03, the issue is gone!" and some have said "I have Revision A03 but sometimes it stays stuck in sleep mode". Most of this feedback is from Amazon, where some people are talking about their "5K displays" in the reviews for this 4K 24" monitor, so I'm hoping I can get feedback from Macrumors regarding the exact situation with the P2415Q.

Does anyone know the differences between revisions? I know Dell doesn't like to disclose that info, but maybe someone has figured something out... Does any Revision in particular fix the sleep issue? Or do none of them? All I know is that there exists A00, A01, A02 and A03, and some have reported having A03 as early as March 2015, while a supposed Dell employee in one Dell thread stated the A03 didn't start shipping until August 2015. Nevertheless, many report that third-party sellers on Amazon are still shipping out A01 and A02 models, in which case I'm not expecting to get A03. Finally, I hear that you can ship off your brand new monitor to Dell so they can replace it with an A03 refurb with quite possibly dead pixels/other issues/the same sleep issues- has anyone gone through this process?

I added a poll to hopefully make things a little easier for those who just want to report their situation and move on.

Thank you!

kazibole

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2015
P2715Q Rev A03 here. When I simply put the display to sleep (but the MacBook remains on), I never experience the problem. However I have experienced the problem a few times when putting the MBP itself to sleep and then waking it. Unplugging the mDP cable and plugging it back in again, or turning the monitor off then on again makes the display work again. It is not often that I put the MBP to sleep so I do not know how often it would happen (percentage wise).

Reactions: jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Actually, if you could please report version of OS X (and versions affected that you've been using), MacBook model, GPU, cable (Dell-supplied or 3rd party), and the revision of the monitor (I.e. "A03"). Thanks!
[doublepost=1453788348][/doublepost]
P2715Q Rev A03 here. When I simply put the display to sleep (but the MacBook remains on), I never experience the problem. However I have experienced the problem a few times when putting the MBP itself to sleep and then waking it. Unplugging the mDP cable and plugging it back in again, or turning the monitor off then on again makes the display work again. It is not often that I put the MBP to sleep so I do not know how often it would happen (percentage wise).

Thanks for the info! I should have put the P2715Q in the title too, same basic monitor, same issues from what I can tell... Which MacBook are you using, and which GPU?

bobbie424242

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2015
P2415Q Rev A01, on latest El Capitan, 2014 MBP with the Iris Pro only and always in clamshell mode
The MBP runs 24/24 and the Dell is set to go to sleep after 3 mins of inactivity.
The Dell is connected to an Elgato dock.

Occasionally (maybe once per week), the monitor will not come out of sleep.
It's not enough to be a major annoyance.

When the Dell doesn't wake up the solution is either one of these

- leave clamshell mode, replug the thunderbolt cable on the MBP side (and connected to the Elgato dock)
- toggle the on/off button of the Dell
- Replug the power cable

Generally the first solution work. I think this problem is due to the firmware of the Dell crashing somehow.

kazibole

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2015

Thanks for the info! I should have put the P2715Q in the title too, same basic monitor, same issues from what I can tell... Which MacBook are you using, and which GPU?

I have a Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro with Intel GPU. Using Monoprice cable SKU 12001.

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
I got my P2415Q today. It's an A02. I'm using the cable that came with the monitor (mDP to DP). I had to adjust brightness and contrast to get as close to the MacBook's retina display as possible, ended up with Brightness 70 Contrast 82. Default was hard to tell the difference between #fff and, say, #ccc, which makes sense, since the P2415Q is a bit warmer than the Retina Display on my MacBook. The "Cool" preset is too cool, however, and "Warm" is definitely too warm. Some have said El Cap has fixed sleep/wake issues, others say a revision change has stopped or started the problem for them. So far so good for me, but I've only let the monitor and MacBook sleep for a couple of minutes at a time so far. I'll update this post if I have issues.

EDIT: 10.11.4 Beta (15E33e) seems to have solved the sleep/wake issue for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.