Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macfevorite

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I would appreciate any comments about the Canon S3 IS. I am looking to buy one for 289.- plus shipping. According to most reviews, this is a great camera. Are there other 12xers that are better?:confused:

hyroboarder

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
I just bought the S3 about a week or two ago, and let me say it is a great camera. I don't know your level so I'm just gonna say it's a good camera for beginners that don't want to spend a lot of money and want more settings and options than a normal "point and shoot" camera. It seems to me that more and more cameras these days are just so automatic, there is really no hobby or difficulty in taking photos. The S3 IS is awesome, because shooting in manual mode is really good, like when I'm changing iso, f stop, shutter speed etc. there is a separate button to change instead of digging through menus. Another reason why its awesome is because the lcd screen is almost like a tablet pc mechanism, you can fold it in so it won't get damaged when not in use. The camera is nice and light also. Another thing is, the lens is sweet, the manual focus and macro buttons are right on the side of the lens so you hold it like a normal camera to focus. Macro mode on the S3 is sweet too, and super macro is even better. F stop isn't that bad for the price, and there are a huge amount of lens attachments for the S3.

However, there is one downside. No rechargeable batteries!!! The solution: drop $20 at your local drugstore for a charger and 4 ni mh batts.

PS you're pretty lucky to have found one for 289, i got mine for like 350.

macfevorite

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
hyroboarder said:
I just bought the S3 about a week or two ago, and let me say it is a great camera. I don't know your level so I'm just gonna say it's a good camera for beginners that don't want to spend a lot of money and want more settings and options than a normal "point and shoot" camera. It seems to me that more and more cameras these days are just so automatic, there is really no hobby or difficulty in taking photos. The S3 IS is awesome, because shooting in manual mode is really good, like when I'm changing iso, f stop, shutter speed etc. there is a separate button to change instead of digging through menus. Another reason why its awesome is because the lcd screen is almost like a tablet pc mechanism, you can fold it in so it won't get damaged when not in use. The camera is nice and light also. Another thing is, the lens is sweet, the manual focus and macro buttons are right on the side of the lens so you hold it like a normal camera to focus. Macro mode on the S3 is sweet too, and super macro is even better. F stop isn't that bad for the price, and there are a huge amount of lens attachments for the S3.

However, there is one downside. No rechargeable batteries!!! The solution: drop $20 at your local drugstore for a charger and 4 ni mh batts.

PS you're pretty lucky to have found one for 289, i got mine for like 350.

Thanks for the information. I lost out on the one for 289, but I think I'll go with Amazon for 348. about 40. more than they sell the S2 for(and for signing up for their card I get 30. off) so for me it's a no brainer! A better camera for only 10 bucks more! I also like the idea of AA batteries. BTW this will be my first digital camera and I just bought my first mac(a 20" iMac) and a 4g nano 3 weeks ago . You could say I've become a total Mac junkie!!:D

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I had the S2 for a while and it was a very nice camera, but I sold it to help fund the purchase of a DSLR.

The S3 is even better of course... you really can't beat it when it comes to versatility. With the zoom range, macro abilities, video mode, flip screen and small size (compared to DSLR's), the camera really is an amazing value.

My biggest complaint about the S2 was the crummy EVF viewfinder which at times made it difficult to ensure that the right thing was in focus. Plus the LCD didn't do so well in bright sunlight. Overall though it was a great camera, and I miss having it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
macfevorite said:
I also like the idea of AA batteries.
Same. That's one of it's greatest selling points for me. I had one of those smaller, Canon Elphshot cameras, but it's a drag if/when those batteries die (especially if you're on vacation and can't readily recharge).

I also love the Image Stabilization, and the easy, separate button for that amazing movie mode. I've even heard that if the movie mode were any better, Canon would lose sales on video cameras. :p

I just got the S3 IS in August but I really haven't used it much yet... but I will say, just a few months into my first beginner B&W photography course (using 35mm SLRs), I'm thinking I might have done better to get a dSLR. :eek:

Just one image I took from a mini-safari w/ the S3 (the original was much much bigger, I resized it) oh yeah, and it was taken on purely automatic mode:

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
devilot said:
I just got the S3 IS in August but I really haven't used it much yet... but I will say, just a few months into my first beginner B&W photography course (using 35mm SLRs), I'm thinking I might have done better to get a dSLR. :eek:

I agree. My advice would be to skip the S3 and get a budget DSLR (Nikon D50, Canon 350D etc.). They're not much more money these days.

The S3 is too big to be a pocketable camera, so IMO you may as well go for the better image quality, handling and flexibility of a DSLR.

I've seen the S3 and feel it's a good camera, but I don't see the point of such "bridge" cameras anymore. Either get a small Ixus-type P&S or go the DSLR route.

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i got one for my birthday last weekend. It my first digital camera, and i can't believe how good it is! I'm definately a beginner when it comes to photography, but some of my shots are looking really good, even before photoshopping.

macfevorite

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Scarlet Fever said:
i got one for my birthday last weekend. It my first digital camera, and i can't believe how good it is! I'm definately a beginner when it comes to photography, but some of my shots are looking really good, even before photoshopping.

Thanks, Scarlett! I've gotten a lot of positive feedback. Looks like I'm gonna get one for shur!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.