Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
The new ipad pro makes sense. Apple kept what was great about the 3rd gen pro and improved what could be improved.
1. Form factor, pencil, UBS C: these were already great so they were kept
2. CPU: we still don't know, but A12X was a big leap and my guess is that a similarly big leap was not possible, so A12Z may be a relatively small improvement.
3. Storage: this is great for the base model... Doubling the storage and the same price (and no, the 3rd gen is cheaper now, but that's not the only improvement)
4. RAM: we don't know, but my guess is that it will be 6GB. This is the improvement that will go almost unnoticed but is probably the biggest one, especially when more pro apps and new IpadOS updates will arrive in a few years... and even more so if the 1TB model has 8GB (like you'll have no refreshes for weeks or months)
5. Camera: not a big deal for many, but if you don't have an iphone 11 pro (for instance I have a galaxy s10e) it's nice to have its camera as a bonus... (also the TOF and AR features are nice even if it's not something I particularly care about)
6. Keyboard: this is the most important "external" improvement... It seems to finally solve the issue that made me return the 3gen pro, lack of lappability.... What's more it should be better and back-lit... The USB C is great, as you can charge the ipad and use the ipad port for other things like storage, heaphones etc. I am concerned about the weight though. The backward compatibility makes sense in Apple's strategy of making more money on accessories... And the price makes sense too... for Apple... People will be buying this keyboard even at this price, so why charge less.... After all the 10.2 ipad keyboard is half the price of the base model...
7. Trackpad: trackpad alone is a big deal...(as is true mouse support). It will make ipads much more usable for office tasks. Remote desktop will no longer need a special mouse o program. This is a big deal even without the new keyboard... And it should open the way to external monitor support. Now Apple needs to make ipad compatible with wide screens (16:9 etc) when connected, even if developers will certainly lag behind in adapting their apps to different screen aspect ratios... and support extended mode and second screen only, not just mirroring... Hopefully this will come with ipados 14...

I'll probably buy this ipad at some point, but not in the near future. I still need to see all the reviews and try it myself... and wait for some price drop... I have 4 older pros already so there is no hurry for me... but at some point I'll grab one...

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyiPad95

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
As a 2018 iPP owner I don't feel a need to upgrade but I'm now very interested in the *next* iteration. My biggest hope is that these changes will encourage development of more high-end applications. IME, the iPP is more held back by software than hardware in most cases.

If I had the time to play with AR storytelling, I'd be more tempted to upgrade. This looks like a great platform to develop that kind of content.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Will probably go for refurb 2018 Pro 1TB LTE when those go back in stock as those will likely be cheaper than 2020 Pro 512GB LTE.

Mind, the $549/679 Pro 11 64GB/256 Wi-Fi are in impulse buy territory.

Reactions: JayMysterio

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Really solid device, and for the right person the keyboard and iOS 13.4 (and maybe more so 14) will be a game changer - I'm still set on mini LED though. Hopefully by the end of the year (though now almost certainly at a price premium!)

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
I have an 2018 11" iPad Pro. Happy to see more storage at the base price. 128GB works for my needs. But I was hoping Apple would add a FaceID sensor array in the landscape orientation. That's my biggest (and really only) complaint I have about the 2018 model. I'm constantly covering the camera for authentication causing me to have to adopt to the product instead of the product adopting to me (throwback to the 2010 iPad introduction video).

The camera updates are mostly welcome, but only an 8MP ultra wide? Seems odd to me to not use the same as the iPhone. The ToF sensor is the one I've been anxious for, but we'll have to see how well developers take advantage. And that's hit or miss unfortunately.

I was surprised it didn't go to an A13X chip. But then again I still think the iPad suffers from software that doesn't yet utilize the A12X in the way it really could.

The keyboard, and mainly trackpad, support is very welcome. That price though, ouch! I'm anxious to try out the keyboard in person in a few months because the previous smart keyboards I've purchased have been plagued with durability issues. This is a big wait and see for me. But I appreciate that it's compatable with last generation. Lord knows it wouldn't have been surprising if it wouldn't have been.

I'm going to hold on to my current iPad to see how the trackpad/keyboard market goes (anxious to see what third parties do) and to see how apps take advantage of new hardware. But I might end up waiting for the next generation either late this year or early next year which will likely have mini-LED, A13X or maybe even A14X. (and fingers crossed for the added FaceID camera I want)

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My only disappointment is the price.

To get a notebook experience, you need to shell out $1,098 for 11" 128GB and $1,348 for 12.9" 128GB.

MacBook Air is $999 for 13.3" 256GB.

Obviously, iPad Pro isn't the same as MacBook Air. Even from hardware only perspective, it is much faster with better cameras and screen. And the form factor is obviously more versatile.

I hope Apple will follow up with new iPad Air, now starting at $599. Essentially last generation 11" iPad Pro (including Face ID and USB-C) with current iPad Air's 64GB storage, A12 processor, and cameras. Compatible with iPad Pro's Magic Keyboard and Pencil 2.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Obviously, iPad Pro isn't the same as MacBook Air. Even from hardware only perspective, it is much faster with better cameras and screen. And the form factor is obviously more versatile.
Remember, the ipad pro+magic keyboard is a macbook clone running ios
Macbook air is an full mac supporting for mac apps, windows 10 apps, linux and soon ipad apps...so...yea...ipad is just for those who love ios and touchscreen
And form factor is not such a big difference

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
As someone who returned an open box 11" iPad Pro 256GB for less than $500 in pristine condition (I'm still banging my head against the wall for that one), I went ahead and ordered the 11" Space Gray 128GB WIFI-only model.

gregrichards

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
I’m really happy about the new iPad Pro. Unfortunately I have significant health problems and a weak immune system. I’m possibly going to have to stay at home for 18 months because of the coronavirus till a vaccine is developed. The new iPad Pro will make this terrible situation more bearable.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Remember, the ipad pro+magic keyboard is a macbook clone running ios
Macbook air is an full mac supporting for mac apps, windows 10 apps, linux and soon ipad apps...so...yea...ipad is just for those who love ios and touchscreen
And form factor is not such a big difference
I am mainly a windows user (because of work) even though I have a macbook air 2013... and touch screen is becoming a must for any device that I get... And for some mac only users I think touch makes the device much more fun to use (and is probably one of the reasons why people tend to use ipads more and mac less, while still using both).
Also LTE is a big deal too for some... And weight... While on windows you can finds 13 and 14 inch laptops under 1kg, the macbook air is heavier (well my 11in one is not that much heavier but it's smaller...). An ipad pro 11 with smart keyboard is lighter as a device on the go...which can be a big deal too, especially if you have several devices already at home....

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
That's completely dependent on you, and your uses.

If you don't need much storage and a fan of the cloud, no it's not worth it.

If you don't want to be bothered with content management & do keep a lot of media, yes it is.

Probably not a lot of media kept locally.
Do the iPads now have a local file explorer system that's like a PC?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
5. Camera: not a big deal for many, but if you don't have an iphone 11 pro (for instance I have a galaxy s10e) it's nice to have its camera as a bonus... (also the TOF and AR features are nice even if it's not something I particularly care about)
I’m kinda disappointed that they didn’t go with the Zoom lens. I know they’re pushing AR but in real world use then the iPad Camera is used more to take photos of lectures and slides rather than virtual furniture placement.

6. Keyboard: this is the most important "external" improvement... It seems to finally solve the issue that made me return the 3gen pro, lack of lappability....
I’m not sure how “lappable” this is.

Balance: Without knowing the weight then we have no idea on how it balances on an unstable surface. From the video it doesnt budge when they disconnect so its either heavy or nailed onto the table.

Screen Bounce: How rigid is that arm? Most screen arms are used on a desk because of stability. So a “floating screen” may look great on a desk but will slight Lap movements cause the screen to bounce.

Portrait Mode: Unlike every single ASK, this doesnt seem to fold back. So every time you want to use portrait mode you have to disconnect it? Thats pretty awkward and cumbersome.

I do love the design but I just have so many questions before I could declare this an improvement.

Last edited:

JayMysterio

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Probably not a lot of media kept locally.
Do the iPads now have a local file explorer system that's like a PC?
They have a file "system", that I intentionally put in quotations. It's passable, but NOWHERE like a PC. If you are willing to, you find ways to work around it & with it.
This might give you some idea.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Also LTE is a big deal too for some... And weight... While on windows you can finds 13 and 14 inch laptops under 1kg
LTE isnt a big deal for me, because im iphone depended so, is instant connected on my iphone...of course is draining the battery, but with 11 pro series , is not a problem anymore
Weight...well, i had an windows 14.1" i think very light...but those under 1 kg that are bigger than 13" are prone to bend because of its magnesium or plastic thin construction...LG gram is one of them...again if you are only windows, then yes, a macbook is out the question...but i need/like to have 3 OS macOS/win10 and linux
But again, if you are having fun with touchscreen, its nice, ipad pro is the way to go...or windows touch...but for me touch on win10 for work is a nightmare...never used it
If apple makes the final cut pro and the other pro apps for ipadOS, will make a lot of ipad users happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.