Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicolle19

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I am looking at purchasing the new
Sony Cyber-shot 8.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

Model: DSC-T100/B

8.1-megapixel CCD captures high-resolution images up to 3264 x 2448 pixels
5x optical/2x digital zoom; Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens
3" color LCD monitor with 230K pixels

This camera isnt out yet in the black but thinking about buying. Has anyone had any previous versions of this. How did you like it? I doubt I will even use the full 8.1 but like the 5x zoom and the 3in lcd.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
About a year ago I got the then-new T9 model. It's a cute little camera, and does pretty well in terms of performance. The thing I love about it is that it's as small as my iPod, and I can carry it with me everywhere (unlike my 5D and lenses bag). It's great for taking to parties, and getting snapshots. The battery life is impressive.
There are a couple of downsides to it, but most of these are a personal preference. For one, there is no optical viewfinder (or any for that matter), so everything has to be framed from the LCD. The low-light performance is typical for an ultra compact, so if you're planning to do much available light stuff, forget about it. Last thing that kind of annoys me about it, is the fact that as of yet I have been unable to take a flash indoors shot without getting red-eyes. I know that this is typical for all ultracompacts, so I'm not really worried about it.
The T100 looks like a great camera, and I'm sure you would be pleased with it.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I love my CyberShot, even though it's an old model from about three years ago. I still use it as my backup camera / out for the night P&S, since my D70s obviously is my primary camera.

Nonetheless, they are solidly built and take decent photographs. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped my CyberShot (and one time, kicked it across a school hallway by accident), and yet it has yet to malfunction.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I am looking at purchasing the new
Sony Cyber-shot 8.1-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black

Model: DSC-T100/B

8.1-megapixel CCD captures high-resolution images up to 3264 x 2448 pixels
5x optical/2x digital zoom; Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens
3" color LCD monitor with 230K pixels

This camera isnt out yet in the black but thinking about buying. Has anyone had any previous versions of this. How did you like it? I doubt I will even use the full 8.1 but like the 5x zoom and the 3in lcd.
I love my Sony CyberShot, but I was looking at that model in the store last week and I love it even more. :D

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Nothing against you for wanting, or have a Sony, but i have never like their cameras.

Here are two reasons why:

1. You have to buy/use the stupid Sony MemoryStick.
2. Some of their decent cameras still use Double-AA batteries.

just my 2 cents.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
How is this any different than other camera manufacturers? I've purchased 4 different digital cameras and each one used a different memory card. Besides, you don't have to purchase a Sony MemoryStick - SanDisk has a line as well.
This is a plus in my book. You can buy rechargeable AA batteries with equal capacities , for a fraction of the cost when compared to battery packs.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
This is a plus in my book. You can buy rechargeable AA batteries with equal capacities with equal capacities, for a fraction of the cost when compared to battery packs.

Not to mention there is a fair chance someone nearby is selling AAs :cool:

I had a DSC-P8, brilliant P&S imo, would still be using it now if it hadn't decided to try turning itself on in my pocket stripping a tooth off one of it's zoom gears :rolleyes:
I'd buy another Sony P&S if i needed to get another, i've been looking at the old P10's on eBay for some time :eek:

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Nothing against you for wanting, or have a Sony, but i have never like their cameras.

Here are two reasons why:

just my 2 cents.

I love sony cameras...had three of them. My latest is the cybershot w50 I think...very compact, takes great pics. My only complaint is the wheel you use to select the mode tends to get bumped sometimes and is on a non-automatic mode before I realize it...but luckily has not messed up any of my shots of my kids...plenty of flexibility/adjustability for everyday use too.

I actually dont mind the memory stick- they are dirt cheap right now, very reliable and if I ever get my PSP I can use one of them there!!!

I have never (and would never) buy a camera with AA batteries. I have always opted for the lithium Ion battery pack and bought a second one to always have a charged spare. The battery charger in my sony is quite small and just plugs straight into the wall. They make a smaller one to buy, but the one provided works for me.

Believe it or not, there are still many people who will only buy an AA type battery camera...these are the people who never remember to charge their batteries each use or at regular intervals so they always want to be able to buy new batteries if they run out. That is the only reason sony makes them...sony is a pretty good "green" company and has historically done pretty decent at reducing packaging...course they can always do more in that arena!

This is a plus in my book. You can buy rechargeable AA batteries with equal capacities , for a fraction of the cost when compared to battery packs.

Yes, but you will end up paying way more over the life of the camera if you use AA, but for ease of use it is better if you don't always charge things...but I never forget and always have an extra one charged up at all times.

I avoid SansDisk products...had a couple of bad experiences with off brand PS2 memory cards and one SansDisk memory stick so I stick to Sony. Not that they won't ever have problems, but I don't want to risk losing important pics of my family because I wante dto save $10 or $20 bucks.

Just my $.50!:D

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
My Bad about the Memory Stick, I did not know that SanDisk had a card that would work in Sony Cameras. Another thing, i don't under stand why someone would want to keep spending $4-5.00 at a time to buy batteries constantly, while on the other hand you could just get a camera with a rechargeable battery [or buy even rechargeable AA batteries].

But, i don't know, i was just trying to help some people some money.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
My Bad about the Memory Stick, I did not know that SanDisk had a card that would work in Sony Cameras. Another thing, i don't under stand why someone would want to keep spending $4-5.00 at a time to buy batteries constantly, while on the other hand you could just get a camera with a rechargeable battery [or buy even rechargeable AA batteries].

But, i don't know, i was just trying to help some people some money.

And here I was going to defend your comment...I just figured you meant any Memory Stick card...sony or other brand. Oh well.:rolleyes:

I agree, definately saves money, but in today's world of forgetfullness and convience many don't seem to care about the money part. I sometimes wish I didn't have to care so much either11:D

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Just to clear some things up: you can (and should) buy rechargeable AA batteries, but instead of paying $30-$50 for a rechargeable battery pack, you pay $5-$10 for two AA batteries. You are, in fact, saving money.

My Sony camera came with 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with 2500 mAh capacity, and a charger. I take a ton of pictures, but have only needed a second set after 3 years, which cost me $10.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Just to clear some things up: you can (and should) buy rechargeable AA batteries, but instead of paying $30-$50 for a rechargeable battery pack, you pay $5-$10 for two AA batteries. You are, in fact, saving money.

My Sony camera came with 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries with 2500 mAh capacity, and a charger. I take a ton of pictures, but have only needed a second set after 3 years, which cost me $10.

I agree that is a very good option. Does your camera show you how much charge is left on your AA rechargeables like it does for a battery pack?

I like the fact that I always have a full charge battery pack so when I download my pics and longer movies from my camera I don't have to worry about not having a full charge and it kicking the bucket during the pic upload. Just an ease of mind thing I prefer I guess.

A person would want to buy two sets probably so they have one to fall back on if the first set dies...so you might be looking at $20 total with a charger and four AA's...at least in that neighborhood. I have some AA rechargeables at our school we tried in the digital cameras we have and they don't last real long. NOt bad, but not great...especially when taking 100 pics plus movies off cameras every few weeks or so.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I agree that is a very good option. Does your camera show you how much charge is left on your AA rechargeables like it does for a battery pack?
Yes, it sure does. :)

I like the fact that I always have a full charge battery pack so when I download my pics and longer movies from my camera I don't have to worry about not having a full charge and it kicking the bucket during the pic upload. Just an ease of mind thing I prefer I guess.

A person would want to buy two sets probably so they have one to fall back on if the first set dies...so you might be looking at $20 total with a charger and four AA's...at least in that neighborhood. I have some AA rechargeables at our school we tried in the digital cameras we have and they don't last real long. NOt bad, but not great...especially when taking 100 pics plus movies off cameras every few weeks or so.
Actually, in terms of mAhs, my Sony rechargeable AAs hold just as much, if not more than many of the battery packs they offer. And like I said, I've been known to take hundreds of pictures a day, and I have yet to actually run out during the day (I re-charge them every night). Plus, my first pair lasted me 2-3 years, and when I finally needed a replacement, it cost me $10. :cool:

The only downside to AAs is the bulk - you'll notice all of the small cameras use battery packs.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
ah, i want one in red. but my 3 year old sony dsc-p150 still works great. so i can't justify the expense. seems they are out of stock everywhere including at sony style.

in general my experience with sony cameras is very good. good sensor and lenses, fast focus and intuitive handling, robust. the only drawback on these cameras is the weak flash but that comes with the small size.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I just ordered the Cybershot DSC-T100 in silver. I really wanted the black one, but the silver was available for immediate shipping on Amazon and I'm impatient. I will hopefully get it next week and I'll let you know what I think.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
I just ordered the Cybershot DSC-T100 in silver. I really wanted the black one, but the silver was available for immediate shipping on Amazon and I'm impatient. I will hopefully get it next week and I'll let you know what I think.

let me know if it has a full manual mode. some people said the DSC-w200 has no manual mode.

btw: the 12MP W200 and the 8MP T100 cost both $399.-. the target the same market. i think that is a strange lineup. i would go for the t100 because of the 5x zoom and the 3"screen. the 12mp are mostly marketing i think.

what are your thoughts?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'd get the 8 MP camera simply because the 8 MP camera probably takes nicer photos than a 12 MP camera.

And no, the cameras don't target the same market. The 12 MP camera is targeted to people who don't know better, while the 8 MP camera is for people who know that from a point and shoot camera with a much smaller sensor, you'd be better off getting a 6 MP camera than an 8 MP camera, but since it's almost impossible to get a 6 MP camera with today's generation of sensor technology, getting a 7 MP or 8 MP camera is the best you're going to get.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I bought a Sony DSC-N2 in early February, and I absolutely love it. It's compact, it's got a nice finish, and it's easy to use. The touchscreen is awesome. Oh yeah, and it takes GREAT pictures. The 10MP resolution is great for some basic cropping, and the colors and white balance have been great on nearly every pic I've taken.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I would say that in addition to the megapixel difference and 3x versus 5x optical zoom the other main differences between the W200 and the T100 cameras is that the W200 is a "compact" camera because its dimensions are slightly bigger and it has a lens that protrudes from the body when it's turned on. The T100 is an "ultra-compact" with slightly smaller dimensions and a non-protruding lens.
If I had to take a guess, the W200 will probably win in image quality due to its larger sensor 1/1.72 versus 1/2.5 on the T100. Also the larger, protruding lens on the W200 has faster shutter speeds and a larger aperture range. I'm basing this on past experience (Fuji Finepix Z1 and Finepix F30). The F30 with a protruding lens and a bigger sensor made a huge difference in image quality, but now I have a larger, heavier camera that I'm more reluctant to carry around.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
First Thoughts on T100

In case anyone is still following this thread, I finally got my Sony CyberShot DSC-T100 from Amazon today. I must say that I am very impressed. I am coming from a Fuji Finepix F30 which took great pictures and had manual controls, but I just like the look and feel of the Sony more. It has almost no manual controls (you can set ISO, Exposure Compensation, Pre-set White Balance) but it is very impressive to have a camera in such a small package that has takes 8 MP pictures with a 5x zoom and Optical Image Stabilization. The menus and settings are also much more user friendly than the Fuji. Face detection focus looks like it would come in handy in real-world situations. And the 3 inch LCD on the back is amazing, it gets fingerprints on it very easily, but it is so bright and so well detailed. If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
In case anyone is still following this thread, I finally got my Sony CyberShot DSC-T100 from Amazon today. I must say that I am very impressed. I am coming from a Fuji Finepix F30 which took great pictures and had manual controls, but I just like the look and feel of the Sony more. It has almost no manual controls (you can set ISO, Exposure Compensation, Pre-set White Balance) but it is very impressive to have a camera in such a small package that has takes 8 MP pictures with a 5x zoom and Optical Image Stabilization. The menus and settings are also much more user friendly than the Fuji. Face detection focus looks like it would come in handy in real-world situations. And the 3 inch LCD on the back is amazing, it gets fingerprints on it very easily, but it is so bright and so well detailed. If anyone has any questions, just let me know.
Thanks - keep us updated as you play with your new toy! :D

...I'm thinking of buying one of these myself.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Actually, in terms of mAhs, my Sony rechargeable AAs hold just as much, if not more than many of the battery packs they offer.

Which says absolutely nothing. I could (hypothetically speaking) produce two battery packs. One can provide 20,000 mAh, the other just 500 mAh. But if the former does so at a voltage of just 1 volt, and the latter at 60 volts, the latter holds more overall power (50% more than the former, to be precise, assuming constant current at constant voltage).

To add to the fun, though, there's also the question of what the load is like. It's no good having a 60 volt pack if the device needs 100 mA at 3 volts; the device will blow up when you connect the 60 volt pack, unless you have a DC-DC converter in the circuit somewhere to shift the 60 volts down to 3 volts.

When it comes to battery life, the only really useful apples-to-apples comparison is a set of batteries in a single given device. In that situation, you can compare AA NiMH batteries to a purpose-built lithium ion pack and get a legitimate result, but that result is good only for that particular camera. Different camera means a different result. Comparing mAh ratings is absolutely meaningless when you're also altering the type of battery. (so mAh can be useful to compare two different brands of NiMH AAs, for example, but not to compare NiMH AAs with a lithium ion battery.)

This is why, for example, NiMH batteries perform so much better than alkaline batteries in flashes and similar tasks: they have a lower internal resistance, so can provide a much higher current for a longer period of time. Doesn't necessarily mean they store more power, just that they are better suited to the job in question. There are other tasks (handheld torches spring to mind) where alkalines perform better because they need a higher voltage but lower current.

(Yes, I did a couple of years of electrical engineering before I dropped out to do computing instead. Does it show? :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.