Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Hear me out...

Does Mac OS have something that causes the display to flash a little, if it is thundering and lightning outside?
I feel like my screen just started flashing a little, and wondering if that is why, versus something else. It just started thundering and lightning outside. Something similar happened last week, too, and it was the same, it was lightning outside. Hence, my question.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hear me out...

Does Mac OS have something that causes the display to flash a little, if it is thundering and lightning outside?
I feel like my screen just started flashing a little, and wondering if that is why, versus something else. It just started thundering and lightning outside. Something similar happened last week, too, and it was the same, it was lightning outside. Hence, my question.
There is nothing in the operating system that does this. You should probably be looking at your household power to be sure it’s properly grounded and wired correctly.

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
Very, very frightening.

I can tell you that it is storming outside as we speak and I don't see any phenomena.

Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Anytime I am at my desk, I have something playing on the right side of my screen (screen is 49").
Often, it is a stream on Twitch or YouTube video; merely as background noise.

The slight quick change in the display, is almost like ambient lighting conditions. I need to monitor this more closely...

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So there are three possibilities here

1) The light from the lightning outside is tricking your eyes
2) you’re having some weird noncebo effect here and no light change occurs at all
3) You have an electrical issue like chefs suggests is an option, where the electricity your house supplies to devices in plug sockets will fluctuate heavily during storms and/or cause a hell of a lot of interference

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
Edited and removed earlier.

I see nothing that says what Mac, as you only mentioned Mac OS, you're having problems with.

Very recent Macs that support TrueTone and have it enabled have an ambient light sensor that may cause dynamic color adjustments that I think might appear like a slow strobe of brightness and or color shifting under lightning conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: circatee

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
Edited and removed earlier.

I see nothing that says what Mac, as you only mentioned Mac OS, you're having problems with.

Very recent Macs that support TrueTone and have it enabled have an ambient light sensor that may cause dynamic color adjustments that I think might appear like a slow strobe of brightness and or color shifting under lightning conditions.
And this right here is something I have thought about. Alas, I do not believe the Mac Mini has that feature.

Another thing that came to mind, was the wallpaper scheme. I believe there is one that changes 'as the time changes during the day'. For today's test, I have changed the wallpaper to static. It will be interesting to see if I notice any flicker, colour change, etcetera...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.