Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigkevracer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Has anyone seen a Thunderbolt 2 to 3 cable in the wild?

I've just ordered a 2016 MBP, and have a few Thunderbolt 2 devices. I've ordered a couple of adaptors, but with my USB cables I'm replacing the cable instead of using adaptors. Would like to do the same thing with Thunderbolt but doesn't seem to be any available.

Is there some kind of translation going on in the adaptors or something?

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If you have (or will have) a 2016 MBP, you're talking about a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter/cable. The Apple adapter linked in the post #2 is bi-directional but I'm not sure that all such adapters would be (something to make sure of before buying). My guess as to why you might not find a cable version is that cables that meet Thunderbolt specifications are more expensive ("simple" TB-TB cables are not cheap, the "simple" is in quotes because Thunderbolt cables require electronics and are not simply wired cables) and that people that have TB2 devices already have cables so the demand for an adapter with cable would not be very high.

karayuschij

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
The adapter works in both directions.
From the product page: "As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port and macOS Sierra."
As this adapter has no male thunderbolt 2 plug I wonder how you can connect it to a female thunderbolt 2… As I know he TB 2 and TB 3 male plugs are completely different.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
As this adapter has no male thunderbolt 2 plug I wonder how you can connect it to a female thunderbolt 2… As I know he TB 2 and TB 3 male plugs are completely different.
Thunderbolt cables are always male-male. You need 2 cables to use this adapter.

karayuschij

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.