Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ourcore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey, everyone,

I have an external 8 TB G-RAID with Thunderbolt drive that connects via Thunderbolt 2, which I want to connect to my 2016 MBP as directly as possible without limiting performance. Looking around, I don't see any TB2 to USB-C cables, but rather just adapters like Apple's. Is there such a cable or am I stuck with an adapter?

Thanks in advance!

danniexi

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I've never seen an actual cable (miniDP male to USB-C male). using the adapter is your best bet.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
For a start off you don't want a TB2 to USB-C cable as you need a TB connection not a USB connection. Whilst TB3 is using a USB-C connector, that is all that USB-C is.

Your best bet will be a TB3-TB2 Adapter, then plug with the TB cable to the G-RAID.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I'd be interested in purchasing this sort of cable as well, if it ever comes to exist, but in the TB2-->TB3 variant given it means twice the speed of 3.1gen2 and TRIM support. For now I've been using the TB3-->TB2 adapter, which for me has functioned not nearly as well as all-native TB2. I keep being told, "just use a dongle" - the problem is, it's a $50 dongle that doesn't function all that well.

One thing that I am also bummed by is the lack of TB2 outs on forthcoming TB3 docks. Most TB2 components were expensive investments designed for many years of continuous usage, and not the sort of thing someone is going to upgrade at the drop of a hat just because Apple moved to TB3!

Reactions: Oldmanmac

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
One thing that I am also bummed by is the lack of TB2 outs on forthcoming TB3 docks. Most TB2 components were expensive investments designed for many years of continuous usage, and not the sort of thing someone is going to upgrade at the drop of a hat just because Apple moved to TB3!

I wish there are more hard drive arrays. I don't want to get a TB2 drive when its going to be outdated

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I wish there are more hard drive arrays. I don't want to get a TB2 drive when its going to be outdated

Agreed. Thunderbolt components are, unfortunately, usually pretty expensive. If I am going to invest in high-dollar TB components at this point, I think I would prefer TB3 since this is the type of product we may want to use for 10+ years, so I might as well buy the current revision for future compatibility. A single cable to use TB3 devices on my TB2 MBP would also be ideal for me over the current adapter (or a better adapter.)

The only exception for me would be if TB2 products go on sale, as I have purchased several TB2 components recently upon them going on killer sales (got a great deal on an AKiTiO Thunder2 Quad at almost half off what it was selling for when initially released!...shame it doesn't offer hard RAID tho!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.