Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Hello folks!

I have a question to all the MacBook Pro Touchbar and MacBook owners out there...
I still have some confusions of what Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C can do and not do...
For example:
I own a Samsung T3 external SSD which works with USB 3.1 USB-C.
I connect it with a USB-C to USB-B cable with my iMac.
I will get a MacBook Pro next year, might have to get a small portable MacBook until then. I also will likely get a Thunderbolt 3 LaCie Rugged portable drive as soon as they are available here.
My question is as followed:
I think about getting a Thunderbolt 3 backup cable, one cable to rule them all. The Apple Store has those nice 50cm Thunderbolt 3 cables from Belkin.
If I connect the Thunderbolt 3 cable with my USB-C Samsung T3 SSD (will definitely work) and the other end with a small MacBook (which has no Thunderbolt 3), will it work? Will the Thunderbolt 3 cable just act as a USB-C cable and simply backwards-compatible-itself? I know I can make this setup with a MacBook Pro, but what about a non Thunderbolt 3 (only USB-C) Laptop? Will the Thunderbolt 3 cable be clever enough to act as a simple USB-C cable?

Best wishes from Germany
Marc

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
The Belkin TB3 cable from Apple will work.

The cable can charge at 60W, supports USB2, USB3 Gen1 and Gen 2, and TB3. It will work with EVERY USB-C port you come across, except it won't charge the 15" MBP.

100w TB3 USB3 Gen 2 cables exist, but I haven't read any reviews to verify those cables. That would be a cable to rule them all. FWIW, I bought the Belkin TB3 cable because it's been approved by Nathan K.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Thank you a lot for the response.
So if I understand correctly, I can just buy the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable and use it with my MacBook and T3 SSD and it will function as a USB-C 3.1 cable until I get a MacBook Pro and plug it into a TB3 port.
Thanks!
You bought the cable... is it very stiff? would you say it's a good length for a short mobile TB3 cable to bring to work in the field?

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Thank you a lot for the response.
So if I understand correctly, I can just buy the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable and use it with my MacBook and T3 SSD and it will function as a USB-C 3.1 cable until I get a MacBook Pro and plug it into a TB3 port.
Thanks!
You bought the cable... is it very stiff? would you say it's a good length for a short mobile TB3 cable to bring to work in the field?

Yep. It'll work on your MacBook and future MBP TB3 port. If the cable fits, it'll work. The cable isn't too stiff, it's noticeably thicker though. Yeah I would say it's portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.