Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
I'm in the process of deciding between a new non TB MBP or a TB MBP 13inch (i connect to external monitors most of the time) to replace my mid 2012 MBP that has finally died.

I'm after one that has two Thunderbolt 2 (mini display port) ports along with a USB3 port as thats what i currently use for my external monitor and external HD.

All the ones i find have USB which is fine, but Thunderbolt 3 (which i would only use for charging) and ethernet (dont use that) HDMI (dont really use that either)

Anyone find any decent docks that kind of replicate the old MBP ports?

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Are you after the TB2 (mDP) for the displays just because that's what you have now?
CalDigit almost has something like that, but with only one spare TB2 port (the other display would have to use the HDMI port)... but you'd have to get a TB3 > TB2 adapter, which makes the whole thing kind of pointless...

You'd be better off just switching your cables for a TB3 dock.

This is brand new, spendy, and not quite available yet, but should do everything you want...
http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3-dock/thunderbolt-station-3-plus/

This is the older model, is available, and should do everything you want.
http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt-3-dock/thunderbolt-station-3/

They also have a USB-C dock, which can only drive one display in "extended" setting (it can drive two displays in "mirrored" setting, but that's not what most people are after).

I don't have personal experience with any of those products, so you should do a little more research on them before purchasing.

The convenience of a dock is great, but just in case you don't know, by purchasing a few replacement cables, you can plug everything directly into the TB3 ports for a fraction of the cost of a TB3 dock.

In any case, you'll need a couple of new video cables/adpaters for the monitors (CalDigit even sells them if you don't want to shop elsewhere). For the external HD, you can use the cable you have now if you get the TB3 dock, or you can buy a USB-C replacement cable (or USB-C adapter) if you want to plug it directly into your MBP.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I have the Caldigit TS3, and it's an awesome dock. Those others that are under $100 that just connect into the side aren't actual TB docks, they are USB-C hubs more/less.

Reactions: ixxx69

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
The TB2 (mDP) option is for an external display and an Lacie external hd, which use my current 2 TB2 ports, so i dont have to buy another cable really for both...

Does a TB3 to TB2 adaptor do exactly that and will it work for an external display like my current TB2 port does? The one of the apple website says something about it cannot be used for external displays?

Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays. For more information, visit the Apple Support page for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
The TB2 (mDP) option is for an external display and an Lacie external hd, which use my current 2 TB2 ports, so i dont have to buy another cable really for both...

Does a TB3 to TB2 adaptor do exactly that and will it work for an external display like my current TB2 port does? The one of the apple website says something about it cannot be used for external displays?
Why are you stuck on TB2? Are your displays TB2-only (e.g. Apple Thunderbolt displays)? You have a brand new MBP with TB3... why are you trying to go backwards?

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Why are you stuck on TB2? Are your displays TB2-only (e.g. Apple Thunderbolt displays)? You have a brand new MBP with TB3... why are you trying to go backwards?

Because i have a display and external HD that uses both TB2 connections, i cannot afford to just replace those willy nilly because Apple want me over on to their ports right away.

I've also not got a brand new MBP as still researching docks!

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Because i have a display and external HD that uses both TB2 connections, i cannot afford to just replace those willy nilly because Apple want me over on to their ports right away.

I've also not got a brand new MBP as still researching docks!
You keep talking about the TB2 connections, but you won't provide any model info about the displays and HDD you're trying to connect, what the available inputs are, etc. You may not need a TB2 connection at all... maybe you just need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable... it's impossible to tell from your posts.

Hopefully someone else can help you. Best of luck!

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
You keep talking about the TB2 connections, but you won't provide any model info about the displays and HDD you're trying to connect, what the available inputs are, etc. You may not need a TB2 connection at all... maybe you just need a USB-C to DisplayPort cable... it's impossible to tell from your posts.

Hopefully someone else can help you. Best of luck!

My external display is a DELL P2415Q which has HDMI and display port from what i can gather and my Lacie external is 1TB with only a single TB2 connector.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
My external display is a DELL P2415Q which has HDMI and display port from what i can gather and my Lacie external is 1TB with only a single TB2 connector.
Okay, the display is 4K @ 60Hz. It's not TB2... it's DisplayPort and HDMI - you're using a mDP cable to your display (TB2 shares the same connector as mini DisplayPort). Bottom line is you don't need or want a TB2 hub.

Again, it's unclear whether you plan to have more than one display plugged in... I'll assume two...

You can get one of those TB3 hubs (like the TS3 I linked to above) and use their video outputs using the appropriate cables. You have to check the specs of the hub to make sure it can handle two 4K @ 60Hz displays in extended mode... I think the TS3 can do that... however, I think if you have both displays plugged in, it slows down the USB ports... this is a TB3 bandwidth limitation.

Also, you might check into the performance of a 13" MB running two 4K displays @ 60Hz... not sure what your expectations are, but I've heard some users complain of laggy performance.

You would need a TB2>TB3 adapter/cable for the HDD.

You can of course skip the TB3 hub and just plug in USB-C to DP cables to connect your displays.

Okay, I'm out. Good luck sir.

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Thank you for your advice, i'll actually be only using one display.

Just will be using for Web Development, but a little worried the 13inch MBP fan might struggle?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thank you for your advice, i'll actually be only using one display.

Just will be using for Web Development, but a little worried the 13inch MBP fan might struggle?

Will you be using it in clamshell mode? The 13" without Touch Bar does only have one fan, but I'd think it can cope as the CPU is less powerful with a (I assume) lower TDP.

For what it's worth, my 13" MBP (with Touch Bar, so two fans and different internal design) works brilliantly for me, I use it a lot for iOS development. The fans hardly ever even come on.

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Will you be using it in clamshell mode? The 13" without Touch Bar does only have one fan, but I'd think it can cope as the CPU is less powerful with a (I assume) lower TDP.

For what it's worth, my 13" MBP (with Touch Bar, so two fans and different internal design) works brilliantly for me, I use it a lot for iOS development. The fans hardly ever even come on.

No i always just use it as a second screen, never been a fan on using it in clamshell mode.

I'm are starting to worry that whether the none TB MBP isn't really a Pro at all, its just a glorified MacBook Air?

Need something thats going to run Photoshop/illustrator without sounding like its going to take off!

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No i always just use it as a second screen, never been a fan on using it in clamshell mode.

I'm are starting to worry that whether the none TB MBP isn't really a Pro at all, its just a glorified MacBook Air?

Need something thats going to run Photoshop/illustrator without sounding like its going to take off!

This sentence is pretty much bang on - at the keynote, they did compare the non-TB to the MacBook Air. It's thin and light enough to be considered the spiritual successor to the 13" MBA in my eyes, with the rMB replacing the 11".

Not to say the non-TB model isn't a perfectly good computer, but if you look at teardowns, the inside of the TB model is very different.

Jezthomp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Hmm that along with the dodge keyboard, starting to think i should just get the 2015 MBP, has all the puts and a tried and tested keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.