Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Thunderbolt 3 Dock
"Can i use this with my Mac Mini 2012 thunderbolt 1 ? with the adaptor that you can get if you have thunderbolt 2?"No one seems to know i have looked all over the web for a answer.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Need more information. What dock is it? Theoretically thunderbolt 3 is backwards compatible with thunderbolt 1 given the right adapter.
Hi thanks for that,Do you know what addapter i would need?

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
The only way I can sort this out is to go to the Apple store and find out if it will work with the Apple adapter. After all, I don,t want to waste money getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock and adapter. I still don't know why someone hasn,t given me a definitive answer to this question. I know I will only get the Thunderbolt 1 speeds.I wish there were more second-hand Thunderbolt 2 docks about. My preference would be OWC and Star tech. there seems to be quite a few being sold in the USA the Star tech one that is on eBay.

oikos

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
The only way I can sort this out is to go to the Apple store and find out if it will work with the Apple adapter. After all, I don,t want to waste money getting a Thunderbolt 3 dock and adapter. I still don't know why someone hasn,t given me a definitive answer to this question. I know I will only get the Thunderbolt 1 speeds.I wish there were more second-hand Thunderbolt 2 docks about. My preference would be OWC and Star tech. there seems to be quite a few being sold in the USA the Star tech one that is on eBay.

Perhaps nobody answered yet because you haven't said exactly which TB3 dock you want to use yet?

I used a CalDigit TB3 dock with my own 2012 Mac Mini via a TB3>2 adapter for a while, before switching to my 2017 MacBookPro. Then I used the same adaptor to connect a Sonnet Echo 15+ TB2 dock to the MBP. Both computers have occasionally had a problem of losing the connection to an NEC monitor that I had connected to the the CalDigit dock via its Displayport port. The problem isn't as bad on the MacBookPro now, but still occasional. Usually just have to turn the monitor off and back on to fix. So I'd try it - Good luck!

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Perhaps nobody answered yet because you haven't said exactly which TB3 dock you want to use yet?

I used a CalDigit TB3 dock with my own 2012 Mac Mini via a TB3>2 adapter for a while, before switching to my 2017 MacBookPro. Then I used the same adaptor to connect a Sonnet Echo 15+ TB2 dock to the MBP. Both computers have occasionally had a problem of losing the connection to an NEC monitor that I had connected to the the CalDigit dock via its Displayport port. The problem isn't as bad on the MacBookPro now, but still occasional. Usually just have to turn the monitor off and back on to fix. So I'd try it - Good luck!
[doublepost=1563108843][/doublepost]Startech Thunderbolt 3 Dual-4K Docking Station
This is the one i am thinking about 85 pound new on ebay ,i can get get a seconed hand adapter for 20 pound.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the dock is thunderbolt2...

It MIGHT work with a thunderbolt3-to-thunderbolt2 adapter.

BUT... then again, it might not.
Even if it does work, some connections might work, and others might not.

To paraphrase Clint Eastwood:
"Well, punk... do ya feel lucky...?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.