Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vonjover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
Hi guys, was wondering if it was better to buy the midlevel 21.5 iMac for now and wait for the 4k, thunderbolt 3 version iMac to come out before i upgrade to that model.

I needed a workstation but the current 4k doesnt seem worth it. With the next 4k iMac possibly coming down to the midlevel price plus thunderbolt 3 with (potential) amd xconnect and razercore support, i thought it better to wait that version out before i go all out on ram and ssd.

Thoughts?

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
Hi guys, was wondering if it was better to buy the midlevel 21.5 iMac for now and wait for the 4k, thunderbolt 3 version iMac to come out before i upgrade to that model.

I needed a workstation but the current 4k doesnt seem worth it. With the next 4k iMac possibly coming down to the midlevel price plus thunderbolt 3 with (potential) amd xconnect and razercore support, i thought it better to wait that version out before i go all out on ram and ssd.

Thoughts?
You should wait on the 4k until it is updated to skylake. Don,t count on TB3 to do what you want as it is unclear exactly how that will work

Vonjover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
You should wait on the 4k until it is updated to skylake. Don,t count on TB3 to do what you want as it is unclear exactly how that will work

Alright, thank you! Yeah ill probably get the quadcore non-retina iMac and sell it off when skylake 4k comes out, decent compromise since i need a workstation now. Thank you!

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
I'm assuming there's a reason you're not considering the 5K iMac. But it would be the best choice if you need something now.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I would expect the 5K and 4K iMacs to be refreshed in Q4 this year and both should have USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 added (the current 5K iMac should already have them, frankly).

Vonjover

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2015
I'm assuming there's a reason you're not considering the 5K iMac. But it would be the best choice if you need something now.

Its too big for what i need. So its better to wait for a better 4k version. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.