Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_mitchie

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2020
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on something I've been trying to accomplish.

I have a 16" MacBook Pro and the LG UltraFine 5K monitor which only allows Thunderbolt 3 for it to work with the Mac. This is fine, though the Mac needs 96 Watts and the monitor over Thunderbolt 3 only provides 94 Watts. This means that I usually have the monitor plugged into the Mac for the display and another Apple 96 Watt charger for power which is fine but not ideal.

Does anyone know of an adapter where I can plug it into the Mac with a single Thunderbolt 3 cord, it outputs Thunderbolt 3 for the display and then has another upstream port USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 that I can plug the Apple power adapter in to?

Thanks!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Not a "splitter" as such, no. If you get a Thunderbolt3 Dock that has (a) a TB3 downstream port, and (b) provides 96/100W via the Upstream TB3 port, then that should work. It's an expensive alternative to an extra cable, or just ignoring the 2W difference, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.