Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

invincible-guy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
India
I have MacBook Pro 13" with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Yesterday, I received a new Dell monitor. Monitor has 2 input ports - HDMI and DisplayPort.

I am looking for cable (not adapter) to connect my MacBook Pro directly to Dell monitor.

Please provide few suggestions and if you have first hand experience with any particular cable, please provide short summary of it as well.

Reactions: airlied

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I have the 6 ft Startech one. Wish I had bought the 3 foot because it's annoying long, but it works perfectly and it was only $33 on Amazon.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
I am using this from Amazon. I would read the reviews of the product to see if others have had success with Dell monitors. My monitor is LG, and they try to insist you use the included cables, but they didn't work with USB-C adapter.

Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (6'/1.8m) for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro, MacBook 12" 2015/2016, Surface Book 2, Thunderbolt 3 (Supports 4K/UHD Displays up to 3840x2160@60Hz)

Reactions: danbalsh

danbalsh

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2003
I am using this from Amazon. I would read the reviews of the product to see if others have had success with Dell monitors. My monitor is LG, and they try to insist you use the included cables, but they didn't work with USB-C adapter.

Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (6'/1.8m) for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro, MacBook 12" 2015/2016, Surface Book 2, Thunderbolt 3 (Supports 4K/UHD Displays up to 3840x2160@60Hz)

I'm using this exact cable with my MacBook Pro 2016 and Dell monitor and it's perfect :)

bcbickers

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Katy, TX
I use two Startech USB-C to HDMI cables to connect my 22" displays to my 13" tbMBP. This cable will only do 4K @ 30Hz, but my monitors are 1080p so everything works perfectly. It causes cable hell with two external displays, power, my Plantronics headset, and my Logitech kb/mouse receiver, but the cables work well. I am holding out for the Henge horizontal dock hoping that it will solve my docking woes. :p

Anyways, here is the link. Hope this helps!

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...&sr=8-3&keywords=startech+usb-c+to+hdmi+cable

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
I use two Startech USB-C to HDMI cables to connect my 22" displays to my 13" tbMBP. This cable will only do 4K @ 30Hz, but my monitors are 1080p so everything works perfectly.

I think the 30 Hz restriction is due to a limitation of HDMI. I have Dell and Acer 4K displays, and both of them require DisplayPort for 4K @ 60Hz.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
can confirm
there may be options for hdmi 2.0 out there, but mostly you will have to use a DisplayPort to get 4k@60HZ.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
can confirm
there may be options for hdmi 2.0 out there, but mostly you will have to use a DisplayPort to get 4k@60HZ.
Can confirm this too. I tried a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort cable with my ASUS Notebook. With this I could drive my 4k monitor with 60Hz. I have not yet tested this with a Macbook.

Other options are Thunderbolt 3 docking stations. The more expensive ones do have DisplayPorts. Unfortunately, the OWC dock only delivers 60W charging. Other docks with 85W lack some other features. I need 87W for my Macbook Pro 15".

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
Can confirm this too. I tried a Thunderbolt 3 to DisplayPort cable with my ASUS Notebook. With this I could drive my 4k monitor with 60Hz. I have not yet tested this with a Macbook.

Other options are Thunderbolt 3 docking stations. The more expensive ones do have DisplayPorts. Unfortunately, the OWC dock only delivers 60W charging. Other docks with 85W lack some other features. I need 87W for my Macbook Pro 15".
Just curious what the OWC does that you need. I'm looking at the CalDigit, the full size one not the lite. The only advantage the OWC has over that as far as I can tell is it gives you more USB-A ports.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
Just curious what the OWC does that you need. I'm looking at the CalDigit, the full size one not the lite. The only advantage the OWC has over that as far as I can tell is it gives you more USB-A ports.
I think the CalDigit has no SD card slot and the eSata ports are useless to me.

airlied

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2011
I have MacBook Pro 13" with Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. Yesterday, I received a new Dell monitor. Monitor has 2 input ports - HDMI and DisplayPort.

I am looking for cable (not adapter) to connect my MacBook Pro directly to Dell monitor.

Please provide few suggestions and if you have first hand experience with any particular cable, please provide short summary of it as well.

for displayport, trust me just get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/CHOETECH-Thu...mi+cable&qid=1536130882&sr=8-2&ref=mp_s_a_1_2

for hdmi, get satechi:
https://satechi.net/collections/usb-type-c/products/aluminum-type-c-to-hdmi-cable-4k-60hz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.