Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Heyo all
Don't know if it was asked already but could not find the post
I have a "old" Lacie 256gb thunderbolt II drive. Thwe cable is attached and I can ALSO connect via USB
Now I bought a 2TB lace mini the drive comes with usb to usb-c cable.
The USB ports on my 2015 MBP retina are worn and often used.
Ideally I would like to connect the Lacie to one of the two thunderbolt II ports
Is there an adaptor to do so, will this work (some sites say only thunderbolt drives will work on there) and what is the way to go??
Speed is secondary and will most likely always be good enough

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you need something like this:

The Thunderbolt end will connect to your Mac with a cable. The Lacie drive will connect to the USB-C side. If the drive cable is male you will also need a gender changer:

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL

The Thunderbolt end will connect to your Mac with a cable. The Lacie drive will connect to the USB-C side. If the drive cable is male you will also need a gender changer:

The Apple Thunderbolt 3<>2 adapter does not provide power. If the OP's LaCie drive doesn't have its own separate power supple then the Apple adapter won't work.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think the bidirectional adapter will work by itself, and not because of the lack of power over the bus, but because the TB port isn't a USB port. AFAIK, adding the bidirectional adapter to your TB1/2 Mac will not give you USB over the TB3 port on the adapter.

You can use USB on the TB1/2 port, but only with a TB dock that has USB on it. There are also a few TB1/2 to USB3 adapters out there, but you can probably only find them used on eBay.

Last edited:

Alexlfm

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Midwest, US
You need to use a Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3.0 adapter that has an actual USB chipset inside of it. Thunderbolt and USB are completely separate protocols. Just like with 2 where it was also display port, the connector can do double duty but the interface itself is essentially PCIe so you need a chipset to make it work. Something like the adapter below would work. Most of these are going to be relatively expensive and likely include other features. I have never used any of these so YMMV.

Reactions: guido.coza

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hello Alex

I think this adapter would work however for the double the money I would get my MBP agin, so waaaay to pricy However thanks a mill for the response

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa

Heyo chabig
I think both adaptor/ cable are the wrong way around. I need to go into the laptop with TB2 and connect a TB3/ USB3 cable to that.
Which poses the question, Is there a cable that is USB on the exHD side and TB2 on the other??
My old lace has a cable attached with a TB2 connecter!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Which poses the question, Is there a cable that is USB on the exHD side and TB2 on the other??
People already answered this in the thread. There isn't a cheap "cable" that does what you want because your TB port is not USB, but there are adapters like the @Alexlfm posted that can provide USB from your TB port.

You can also use a TB dock that has USB on it. It might be hard to find TB1/2 docks, especially new, and they tend to be expensive, so it might be cheaper to get a TB3 dock and connect it to your Mac using the bidirectional adapter that Apple makes. Also keep in mind that the bidirectional adapter that Apple makes is not exactly cheap, it is $50 new, and Apple is the only one that makes it.

however for the double the money I would get my MBP agin
What do you mean?

so waaaay to pricy
If you are looking for a cheap solution, such as a $10 cable, you will not find it. The Adapter that @Alexlfm posted is probably the cheapest solution to get USB from your TB ports. If buying used is okay, you might be able to find that adapter cheaper used on eBay, or find a TB dock with USB on it for a great price on eBay.

Maybe consider a USB hub if you are running out of USB ports? That would probably be the cheapest solution for you.

I think both adaptor/ cable are the wrong way around. I need to go into the laptop with TB2 and connect a TB3/ USB3 cable to that.
The bidirectional works both ways, from TB3 to TB2 and TB2 to TB3. You may have to use additional male/female adapters for it to connect to your specific equipment.

*It does not turn your TB1/2 port into a USB-C port.* You need additional equipment for that, such as a TB3 dock.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
There are also a few TB1/2 to USB3 adapters out there, but you can probably only find them used on eBay.
Something like the adapter below would work. Most of these are going to be relatively expensive and likely include other features. I have never used any of these so YMMV.

https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-KTU20-Thunderbolt-Ether-USB3-0/dp/B01F5LD97O
I think this was the adapter that I was thinking of, I didn't think that this was still being sold new.

I looked into this adapter a long time ago to be used with a friend's Mid 2011 iMac (only had USB2), but never got it.

IIRC, some people complained about the disconnection issues with the USB when used for long periods of time with an external drive, although, I might be confusing it for another adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.