Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Has anyone ever used a tiff file with layers (like a psd file) on a "to print" layout?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Has anyone ever used a tiff file with layers (like a psd file) on a "to print" layout?
I get actual JPGs sent as "Camera Ready" a lot. I convert to CMYK or Grayscale, place in ID to get the correct ad size and then export a PDF. That PDF gets placed with Editorial on the newspaper page and the whole thing is sent as a PDF to the printer.

It used to be really dicey when we were printing our own paper, but our linescreen improved significantly when we switched to an outside printer.

I don't like it on principle (black type splits across all four plates and the pressmen have to register it) but at 150dpi it works well enough - assuming you were originally sent an image file at high enough resolution.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
eyoungren im not certain what you are talking about is relevant to what im asking... is it? :)

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Personally, I error on the side of caution and avoid layers in any image produced for insertion into a page layout or word processing document. I usually have a layered "master" file from which I export a copy that has been flattened. I also don't rely on my page layout program to intelligently scale and resample the image so I always resize to the final reproduction size at an appropriate PPI in Photoshop before saving the flattened copy. Using presized and flattened TIFFs avoids have an excessively large final output file or "collect for output" folder.

Reactions: zoran

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Have you actually encountered any issues with unflattened (layered) image files? I personally havent, but i could of been lucky!

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
Have you actually encountered any issues with unflattened (layered) image files? I personally havent, but i could of been lucky!

Long ago and far away, yes. Since then, I've never risked it. Even if layered files are reliable, they are larger than a flattened file, which adds to the size of the final file, or collection of files, that needs to be sent to the printer.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
That is true. Despite what u say about the large file, i must say that a layered tiff is convenient cause one file does it all.
On the other hand, why layered tiff and not psd?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
eyoungren im not certain what you are talking about is relevant to what im asking... is it? :)
Probably not. I don't think I had had my coffee then and was probably thinking something else.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
Personally, I error on the side of caution and avoid layers in any image produced for insertion into a page layout or word processing document. I usually have a layered "master" file from which I export a copy that has been flattened. I also don't rely on my page layout program to intelligently scale and resample the image so I always resize to the final reproduction size at an appropriate PPI in Photoshop before saving the flattened copy. Using presized and flattened TIFFs avoids have an excessively large final output file or "collect for output" folder.
I tend to agree with this approach, as it generally gives peace of mind and a feeling of "trust" for the producer of the artwork, however - if you are providing a final print-ready PDF and the printer is using a reasonably modern RIP, then in theory there shouldn't be an issue. In addition, depending on your settings when making the PDF, it should flatten and resample the layered image to the appropriate resolution.
It's worth experimenting, open up the resulting file in Adobe Acrobat Pro and use the Print tools to preview the separations. Look for artefacts where vectors, images and transparency effects overlap. I would use PSD rather than TIFF though, when using a workflow like this.
Out of interest, what are you composing your artwork in, InDesign, Illustrator or something else?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
... if you are providing a final print-ready PDF and the printer is using a reasonably modern RIP, then in theory there shouldn't be an issue. ...

Quite true, though it is a big IF.

The printer we use for our "coffee table" books wants us to provide the InDesign file along with the collected images and fonts. We use Id's "Collect for output" function to produce the collected files. This requires that I use properly sized, correct color space, and flattened images. Otherwise, I would be sending unnecessarily large image files and would run the risk that their pagination software and RIP handles them improperly.

For simpler projects (rack cards, advertisements, ...) we use printers that prefer print-ready PDFs. For these, it is less of a concern as carefully choosing proper settings in the PDF export ensures that the images are handled appropriately. Even then, I prefer to do any RGB to CMYK conversion in Ps so that I can review the impact of the color space shift. If I'm doing that, I'll flatten the new copy of the image at the same time.

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Out of interest, what are you composing your artwork in, InDesign, Illustrator or something else?
I compose my artwork in Indesign and PDFs are exported using the PDF/X1-a:2001 default setting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.