Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wiltonian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Currently running Tiger on a 12"G4PB 1.5GHz/1.25Gb. TenFourFox is a little slow.

In the opinion of those who have tried it, would it be worth moving to Leopard in order to be able to use Roccat?

TIA, Stuart.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Currently running Tiger on a 12"G4PB 1.5GHz/1.25Gb. TenFourFox is a little slow.

In the opinion of those who have tried it, would it be worth moving to Leopard in order to be able to use Roccat?

TIA, Stuart.
You have now triggered my biases.

I am biased towards TenFourFox and against Webkit based browsers and I am biased towards Leopard and against Tiger.

If Tiger is otherwise working for you I would suggest looking through my thread on T4Fx. It's stickied at the top of the forum and it's also in my signature. It's been made as easy as possible for anyone to do.

But if you still feel you want to upgrade to use Roccat, I might suggest other Webkit based browsers first. Shira, Demeter, Sunrise and Stainless are all very fast webkit based browsers. Demeter is the fastest you'll ever find. One of those should run on Tiger.

If you do upgrade, understand that Leopard will initially be slow, especially on lower end systems. I would not recommend running Leopard on any Mac with less than 1GB of ram. There are a number of optimization threads here for Leopard, but the one consensus among all of them is to turn off all the eye candy. Transparent menu bars, icon previews, file previews, etc.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and ask questions if you need help.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

TIA, Stuart.

Leopard Webkit is my choice on Leopard - Roccat never seems to work for me.

Install Onyx and/or the Secrets Preference pane to turn off a lot of Leopard's GUI tricks and also use ShadowKiller - you'll see a marked responsiveness.

If you want to use Youtube, don't rely on HTML5 - use any of the workarounds I've posted.

When you first install Leopard be aware Spotlight will start indexing you drive immediately - let it runs it's course or disable it.

If Leopard seems unreasonably, it's worth reinstalling again - I've had that issue a few times.

Don't give up on TFF though, use the optimisations and use a plugin to kill unwanted Javascript to improve performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.