Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janus5555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Hello, I have a macbook mid 2012 with an ssd in the main drive and an hdd in the disk drive. The ssd boots with mountain lion and the hdd was until now used for file storage. I've set the time machine to backup this whole system in the time capsule and so far it worked just fine.

Recently I decided to test mac sierra and created a sierra partition on the hdd. I copied all of my account settings and prefs manually to this partition and it goes quite well.

Now i'm thinking of erasing mountain lion from the ssd and replacing it by sierra, making it my basic os. As mentioned, I've copied all settings and prefs so as soon as I duplicate the sierra partition to my ssd I'll be ready to go... except for the time capsule!

What will happen to my old backups?
Can anyone advice how I can preserve my backups of the time capsule and use it for the "new" system as well?
Thank you for your time.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Make sure the computer name in the sharing tab of system preferences in the Sierra install is the same as that in the old one, then after you move the Sierra install to the SSD go into System Preferences and select the time capsule as your time machine backup location. It should ask if you want to inherit the old backup and add to it or if you want to start a new backup: select to inherit the old one. Be aware that the first backup will be big as it will need to copy a lot of the system files over.

janus5555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
Hey, thanks a million for a quick and to the point reply. I will try it on the sierra partition before I erase the mountain lion disk, just to make sure it works. I'll post the outcome, thanx again ;)

janus5555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
I need more info as this is not as simple as it appeared. I moved the Sierra installation to my ssd, when I select the time capsule as the backup media the message you suggest does not come up, instead, time starts counting until the backup starts. I made sure the computer's name is the same as in the old mountain lion installation but also the name under the time capsule backup. Any help please? I have almost a year of backups and don't won't lose them...
Thank you.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Probably because it's the same machine, same name & same hardware ID it knows that the backup belongs to it already. I'd just let it run, worst case is that you'll end up with a second backup on the disk that you can see if you open the backup drive in a Finder (if it does, you can troubleshoot it afterwards), otherwise you will just see one backup on the disk.

janus5555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2015
it went exactly like this, as soon as I set it to run a backup routine, it recognised all the past backups. Thank you for your help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.