Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

herbiemiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
I want to remove unneeded files from my Mac to free up space on my hard drive.

I use Time Machine and have done multiple complete backups of my hard drive to my Apple Time Capsule.

My downloaded iTunes files take up about 40G. Since I have Apple Music, I don’t need those files on my hard drive.

So here’s my question: if I delete those files and at some point in the future want them back, I can simply go back to one of the complete hard drive backups and restore them, correct? (I’m paranoid about losing content)

Thank you,

-hm

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So here’s my question: if I delete those files and at some point in the future want them back, I can simply go back to one of the complete hard drive backups and restore them, correct? (I’m paranoid about losing content)
Yes, with a caveat. If the TM drive starts to get close to full, it will purge off the oldest backups, so you could lose your data that way. Plus of course, you have all your eggs in on basket with that one drive, so if it dies your data is gone.

But otherwise, yes, you can just restore what you want from the backup.

herbiemiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2017
Thanks a lot. That answers my question. I hadn't thought about the purging aspect, so thank you for mentioning that.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you want to "remove unneeded files.. to free up space" the best way to do this is to get an EXTERNAL drive (USB drive works fine), and off-load the files to that.

Arrange them however you wish.
The drive will serve as "an archive" of the old stuff.

HOWEVER -- if you do this, and if the files are important to you, you have to back up the external storage, as you'll lose the files if the drive fails.
I'd recommend another external drive. I'd also suggest using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper -- either will create an exact copy and maintain it that way.

Reactions: herbiemiller
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.