Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
I am trying to do some time lapse photography and I have canon 450D. I would like to know if any of you knows a good software to use it with Mac and do the time lapsing...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
Sure, what kind of time lapsing? I did some star trail stuff the other night for about an hour. I jsut put it all in Photoshop and blended it that way (load to stack, and then set the blend mode on each layer to "lighten") worked well for me!

What are you trying to do?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I am trying to do some time lapse photography and I have canon 450D. I would like to know if any of you knows a good software to use it with Mac and do the time lapsing...Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I use the TC-80N3 Timer Remote Controller (which is spendy as hell for what it is) with my 50D, but I don't think the Rebels have the same shutter release jack as the 50D/40D/etc.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Sure, what kind of time lapsing? I did some star trail stuff the other night for about an hour. I jsut put it all in Photoshop and blended it that way (load to stack, and then set the blend mode on each layer to "lighten") worked well for me!

What are you trying to do?

how can I do time lapsing photography with Canon 450D and Mac

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

How are you looking to use the Mac? To control the camera shutter or to assemble all the frames into a movie?

If the first then maybe you can use Automator or Apple script to have Image Capture trip the shutter and download the image. The latest version of Image Capture can trip the shutter via USB on most SLRs

To assemble the frame into a videois not hard either. In fact a folder filled with still images in numbered files is a common video format within the motion picture industry. It is the format that film scanners create

blownco

macrumors regular
May 24, 2008
CA
you should be able to download EOSutility for mac and control it that way.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.

If what you mean is to hook the camera up to the Mac directly trigger and download images to some software, this link regarding iStopMotion suggest that this camera can't do it.

You alternative would be to what ever mechanism is required to trigger the pictures on the camera, and then download them to the Mac. You could then use something like iStopMotion to build you animation.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Keep in mind you don't want to go overboard with timelapse on such a camera. Mechanical shutters have an estimated life span. Depending on model, you could go over the manufacturer quote. Taking a picture every second for twenty four hours gives 86400 images and 86400 triggers of that shutter. Going over the manufacturers number doesn't mean your camera will suddenly stop working.

jammiefreerider

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2006
I am about to buy the 500D and i want to do timelapses as well. I found the 'Twin1 ISR I02' Interval Shutter Release. Its whats called an intervalometer and will take a number of pictures over a set amount of time in whatever increment you want. With that you will have your timelapse and then put it into one folder on your Mac. In QuickTime (maybe just in the pro version) you can 'Open Image Sequence' which will turn your series of stills into a video sequence. Save and export as needed.

I preface this with the fact I havent actually done it yet but thats my understanding of the process so far and Im sure 'open image sequence' can be done in other programs.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
In QuickTime (maybe just in the pro version) you can 'Open Image Sequence' which will turn your series of stills into a video sequence. Save and export as needed.

Yes, it probably is a pro feature. It isn't obvious how to use it either. Place all the pictures you want into a folder, use the "Open Image Sequece..." option and navigate to that folder. Choose the first picture you want to start at and click Open. Chose the frame rate.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
GraphicConverter will also convert a folder of images to a QT movie.

Are you trying to capture something like an hours worth of activity by taking a photo at precise intervals or are you trying to do something like claymation?

RickDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
iMovie also works perfectly well for timelapse movies. You can use all of the transitions, and sync it up to some music too.

I believe you can drag your pics right into iMovie's clips pane, and then just drag them to the timeline in the order you want. I did my first timelapse movie just like that a year ago, for a contest in Maclife magazine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.