Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samlmitchell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
Hi All,

I'm new here but I'm racking my brains and I can't work out what to do.

I've been backing up to a NAS drive (WD My Cloud) with time machine. I no longer have access to the location where the NAS drive is located so have logged in and downloaded the backup file "Sam's iMac.sparsebundle" via a windows PC. It's downloaded as an 18Gb file named "Sam's iMac.sparsebundle.zip". I've tried unzipping it without success, although I've been pretty impatient with waiting from it to unzip.

The data on here is pretty crucial, so I wanted to ask your advice on how best to access it?

I'm aware I probably need to format an external hard drive to HFS+ but not sure on what process I should be using to get to a usable backup that I can access on my mac.

Really hope you guys can help!!!
[doublepost=1486585356][/doublepost]I've been a little more patient and have recieved the following message after trying to unzip the file on my windows laptop.
jAGdH

hv0FBF

"Cannot open the file a zip archive is not an archive"
Untitled.jpg

hv0FBF

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
The data on here is pretty crucial, so I wanted to ask your advice on how best to access it?

I'm aware I probably need to format an external hard drive to HFS+ but not sure on what process I should be using to get to a usable backup that I can access on my mac.

I'm a little confused. You still have a Mac avaialble? If you do, just copy that sprasebundle image over to the Mac and it will be able to natively open the disk image and in Finder you will be able to see you backup files and retrieve them.

If you are on Windows and do not have access to a mac, you will need some sort of third party add on to be able to open and read that sparsebundle file. There is a free Windows program called HFS Explorer that reportedly will do this (have not tried it myself).

http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

samlmitchell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
I'm a little confused. You still have a Mac avaialble? If you do, just copy that sprasebundle image over to the Mac and it will be able to natively open the disk image and in Finder you will be able to see you backup files and retrieve them.

If you are on Windows and do not have access to a mac, you will need some sort of third party add on to be able to open and read that sparsebundle file. There is a free Windows program called HFS Explorer that reportedly will do this (have not tried it myself).

http://www.catacombae.org/hfsexplorer/

Great thank-you... even though it appears as a zip file on windows this should still work? Do you think I need to rename the file? I've got access to my imac this weekend but for now I'm stuck on windows

Just to add I haven't downloaded it to and HFS+ drive. It's saved on a usual FAT32 drive at the moment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Great thank-you... even though it appears as a zip file on windows this should still work? Do you think I need to rename the file? I've got access to my imac this weekend but for now I'm stuck on windows

Just to add I haven't downloaded it to and HFS+ drive. It's saved on a usual FAT32 drive at the moment
Yes, I would rename it to get rid of the zip extension. It will work okay on a FAT32 drive.

Those sparse bundle images are really interesting. It is sort of a virtual HFS+ system inside the bundle and the image. The the image is written in 8MB "bands". Normally a FAT32 drive would only be able to hold a 4GB file size, but the sparse bundle with its 8MB bands gets around that.

samlmitchell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2017
Yes, I would rename it to get rid of the zip extension. It will work okay on a FAT32 drive.

Those sparse bundle images are really interesting. It is sort of a virtual HFS+ system inside the bundle and the image. The the image is written in 8MB "bands". Normally a FAT32 drive would only be able to hold a 4GB file size, but the sparse bundle with its 8MB bands gets around that.

Cool... I've attempted to remove the zip extension and it's taking it's time... about 20 minutes now... It is an 18Gb file though. I've downloaded HFS exlporer and installed the annoying java requirement... will update on progress
[doublepost=1486595391][/doublepost]

Gahh... So it's not letting me change the file type of the file... just keeps failing after about 20 mins of thinking about it. HFSexplorer isn't regognising the file annoyingly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.