Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfpami

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
since upgrading to High Sierra on my MacBook Pro laptop, time machine won't back up to my external drive. It says I must turn off Firevault, which I did yesterday. Now my Mac is tied up decrypting, which has been going on for 24 hours, and still has 14 hours to go. Is this normal? Is this necessary now everytime I want to back up? Please help!

Also, I need to use my computer for work tomorrow. How can I pause this process, or can I work over it?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice (and my opinion only):

Don't use TM -- use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper instead.
Bootable cloned backups = fewer problems.

IF the external drive is encrypted, leave the encryption off.
The more difficult you make it to "get to" backed up data, the greater the chance you WON'T be able to get to it in "that moment of extreme need".

If the data on it is that sensitive, lock the drive up in a safe...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
My advice (and my opinion only):

Don't use TM -- use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper instead.
Bootable cloned backups = fewer problems.

IF the external drive is encrypted, leave the encryption off.
The more difficult you make it to "get to" backed up data, the greater the chance you WON'T be able to get to it in "that moment of extreme need".

If the data on it is that sensitive, lock the drive up in a safe...

Time Machine has its purpose. IMO, you should use both.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Also, I need to use my computer for work tomorrow. How can I pause this process, or can I work over it?
You can keep right on using it while it decrypts.

I am using TM to backup my 2016 MBP with FV on with no issues. Can you tell us a little more about your setup?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.