Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hello,

I have two MacBooks my Personal - MBP 13 inch (2020), and for Business - MBP 16 inch (2019).

I have one account connected to iCloud on my MBP 13 inch and two accounts on my MBP 16 inch - one of them is connected to the same iCloud account as my MBP 13 and one will be connected to my business iCloud account.

I would like to do backup on my 13 inch and after that transfer Time Machine backup to my 16 inch to account connected to the same iCloud as my 13 inch. I would like to have second account clear without any settings, apps etc. from backup. Is it possible?

Additional questions:

Will be apps from backup available on second account or it will be available only on this account were backup was performed?

Is it possible to transfer backup data only to specified / not all accounts?

Will second account stay clear?

Can I have one MacBook available for two iCloud accounts?

Thanks for your replies :)

Regards,
J.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Time Machine does the backup by computer and users on the computer. You won’t be able to merge the 2 backups together. I think that was what you were asking.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
So it is possible to enable backup only on one user and leave second without changes?

Yes, in Time Machine there is an option to exclude files and folders being backed up. In this case you would exclude the /Users/<user folder>.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Found answer on Apple.com.

If you're preparing the MacBook for multiple users, set up separate User Accounts for each one, then set up an Apple ID for each one. If these are family members, you can set up Family Sharing do they all have access to shared apps, music, photos, etc.

To set up additional user accounts, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > click on the " + " sign under the left sidebar.

So it means that I can use separate Apple ID on two separate accounts. That's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.