Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
The issue is I have two older Time Capsules that I use for Time Machine backups on four Mac's. One is wired to the router by ethernet, and the other three are wireless. With the Time Capsules going bad, yet again, I am left with my FIOS Wireless router only. If I plug an external USB enclosure into the router by USB, my Mac's do not see it to do Time Machine Backups.

So, can a non-apple router be used for Time Machine backups with a USB external drive, or do I need to buy an Airport Extreme and then plug in the USB external drive? It would be great to back-up all four Mac's on one external drive wirelessly, but maybe there will be a problem if they try backing up at the same time?
Trying to avoid buying a new Apple router to plug in the external USB drive, as my current router works fine.

The other option is to buy four USB external enclosures and plug them in to the four Mac's for Time Machine backups. I already have some extra 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives I can use.

Either way, I am out a couple hundred bucks.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, of it there are other options that I can pursue.

Thanks...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So, can a non-apple router be used for Time Machine backups with a USB external drive, or do I need to buy an Airport Extreme and then plug in the USB external drive?

It does work with some third party routers. I know Asus and Netgear both advertise Time Machine support for some of their routers. Thing is this is not officially supported by Apple and for some reason does not work well. I have seen quite a few forum posts from people having trouble with this.

The official Apple method is either a Time Capsule or the new AC version Airport Extreme with a USB drive attached.

You could also but a NAS for Time Machine, but many of those have the same spotty track record I mentioned with third party routers.

Really the most trouble free option is the TC or AE from Apple.

I would be very surprised if your FIOS router supports TM.

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
To avoid getting a new Apple router, which I really do not need, maybe four quality external enclosures plugged into the Mac's. Three are iMacs and one old 17 inch MacBook Pro, that is pretty much desk bound. I can then just use the FIOS router to share the two printers. Since I already have the hard drives, that may be the cheaper and better option.

Any thoughts on the more reliable enclosures today? There are a bunch.

Thanks all...

sboychuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
All done. Bought these and have all four Mac's backing up via Time Machine to 3.5 inch hard drives, by USB. They are not glamorous, but they get the job done. They also have a couple USB ports which is helpful, and a USB cable. Took a bit to get the initial backup done, but after that, all is well.

No more Time Capsules to worry about. Glad I had some extra 4TB 3.5 hard drives in a box, as that saved a lot of money. Anyone looking to get away from Times Capsules, this is a good an inexpensive route.

Thanks all...

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.