Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
This is the 2nd time I got the following error:
Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 12.16.38 PM.png

bZtEJT5jHwYxT74F6zPGU63XuOl373vl10xLVL5VuFR

bZtEJT5jHwYxT74F6zPGU63XuOl373vl10xLVL5VuFR

I used Disk Utility to perform "First Aid" and found no problem with the HD. On my Mac Pro, I have two HDs for Time Machine backup. The other one works fine.

On the previous error, I had to reformat the HD to get it to work. What should I do this time?

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I tried that 3 times. It still did not work. I reformatted the HD. It works again.

I wonder what happened to the HD? Using Disk Utility did not find any issues with it.

bjar

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2013
Sugar land, tx
I tried that 3 times. It still did not work. I reformatted the HD. It works again.

I wonder what happened to the HD? Using Disk Utility did not find any issues with it.
Sometimes the backup gets corrupted or something. I usually just delete the backup and try again. No need to completely reformat. I figured this happens because my time machine is on a NAS.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I think there is something wrong with my drives that Disk Utility cannot detect. A week ago, my 2013 Mac Pro couldn't come up. I took it to Apple's Genius Bar. The guy booted it up without using the Mac Pro's SSD. Then he ran Disk Utility and couldn't find any issues either. So he did a soft re-install of the Mac OS. It still did not fix the problem and the Mac Pro could not boot up.

Then he reformatted the SSD and re-installed the Mac OS. Then the compute could come up again.

Then I ran into the backup HD issue today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.