Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamacfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2015
京都市
Since updating to Sequoia my Time Machine backups have been failing during night. Every time I wake up the display, I get the same error: "Time Machine did not finish backing up because some files were unavailable. Backups will resume when your Mac is unlocked." My Mac actually never sleeps; I only put the display to sleep. The next backup after waking the display always works.
Anyone is having the same problem?

basher

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
Same for me. Restart/shutdown didn't fix things. Forcing a backup didn't fit things either.

For me it's hit or miss, but most of the time I get the same error message as you. I'm hoping an update will correct the issue.

BigBobbyD

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
I had to uninstall and reinstall my TM with the Airport Utility and wait with Prepairing backup for 5 hours before it finally started and then the first sequoia backup took 7 hours to complete.
Some things I did notice, one, the new TM backup hates a Ethernet connection and actually disconnects the TM and fails after about an hour. 2. Using Wifi I turned off the Private Wifi Setting (got a warning) and disconnected the Ethernet cable. This seems to work since the MAC address rotation is turned off, which why in the hell Apple came up with that brilliant plan makes no sense to me since I limit my router access via MAC address and now that doesn't work after each reboot of my iMac.

This is getting so tiresome, not to mention that here in Germany they Gendered the computer with word phrases that aren't listed in any dictionary. To vent a little, this is my last Mac and as soon as it dies I will be switching permanently to linux

BigBobbyD

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
Just a quick update.
It appears that when designing OS15 some idiot at Apple decided to delete the keychain and replace it with an App called Passwords. This is causing the backup errors to Apple Time Capsules and Synology NAS devices.

It appears that the AirPort Utility is no longer recognizing the login Password to re-establish its connection across the local network.

What dumbass programmed this stupidity? Let me guess, DEI

Reactions: Pskordilis

Pskordilis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2021
Just a quick update.
It appears that when designing OS15 some idiot at Apple decided to delete the keychain and replace it with an App called Passwords. This is causing the backup errors to Apple Time Capsules and Synology NAS devices.

It appears that the AirPort Utility is no longer recognizing the login Password to re-establish its connection across the local network.

Is not a dumbass is a clown.

c0rb4c

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2024
France & Luxembourg
Hi guys. Any solution here? Keep getting this annoying error while my Mac Studio is locked: files unavailable. Works fine when unlocked… tried to remove and add the TM setup (even format the whole target disk). Same feeling here: macOS is starting to seriously piss me off, not as much as Windows, but more than Linux for sure…

Furby2005

macrumors member
May 9, 2019
Surrey, UK
Just a quick update.

Keychain Access hasn't been deleted but moved to System/Library/CoreServices/Applications, and should still be working as before. I've updated three Macs to Sequoia and have so far had no issues with Time Machine accessing a Time Capsule. I can't offer any explanation as to why your backups aren't currently working I'm afraid, but I can confirm that all the necessary software is still present and correct in Sequoia.

Reactions: kitKAC
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.