Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65832
Original poster
May 1, 2005
I've got myself a new Mac Mini, and while it's now all setup from my old (dead) machine and I'm happy with it, I'm having trouble using my existing backup disk.

When I've transferred a backup disk in the past all I've had to do was plug it in, macOS would ask if I want to use it for backup, then would ask if I want to inherit the backup history, maybe I'd need to associate a disk or two, but it would otherwise just then run as expected.

But that didn't happen this time.

So I tried doing it via command line instead:

Code:
sudo tmutil inheritbackup /Volumes/Backup/Backups.backupdb/Haravikks\ Mac
Usage: tmutil inheritbackup machine_directory
       tmutil inheritbackup sparse_bundle
/Volumes/Backup/Backups.backupdb/Haravikks Mac: Invalid target

Why is my machine directory considered an invalid target? This backup disk was being used to backup another machine on the same day the new machine arrived, so I know that it works, and is very unlikely to be a fault with the disk or the previous backups, yet for some reason my new Mac Mini running fully-patched Catalina won't use that directory. The previous machines both were running fully-patched Mojave.

I've tried associating all of the disks instead, but when running a backup, Time Machine will just create a new machine directory (Haravikks Mac 2) even though the new machine name and old machine name are identical. I can't let it do this however as there simply isn't room for a whole new backup, and I don't want to wipe my backup history in case there is anything I haven't transferred (I do have a secondary backup but it's not really convenient for quick access).

Does anyone know why Time Machine on Catalina might suddenly consider my machine directory an invalid target, and what I can do about it? On a related note, where is the information on machine directories even stored? I've checked several Time Machine backups and don't see any obvious files that might store machine or disk IDs, yet that's clearly information that Time Machine has.

Last edited:

haravikk

macrumors 65832
Original poster
May 1, 2005
So, while I wasn't able to figure out why Time Machine was rejecting my machine directory, I was able to figure out a solution, which was to change the directory's extended attributes (which is how Time Machine stores machine info, same for disk info on snapshot volumes), basically I forced the machine directory to belong to my new machine, which is exactly what inheriting a backup is supposed to do but wasn't for some reason.

I've detailed my solution on Stack Exchange for anyone that needs it:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/376133/54077

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.