Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello all,

Quick question, is there a way to make my time machine drive that is connected to my iMac thru USB show up on the network and on my MacBook for use with TM?

It already has the backups waiting to be used and works when connected, but I want to be able to do so wirelessly so I do not have to disconnect the drive from my main machine.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ok actually sounds like a great idea as I wanted to learn more about Server soon anyhow. I will install later this afternoon, any resources/documentation you'd recommend on getting started?

ArsTechnica has a really thorough write up on Server here. It was on Yosemite, but I think most all of it would be the same under El Capitan.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Hello all, I am re-writing on this thread because my setup that resulted from this post was working until I made some changes to the disk that I was using as the backup location.
When I set this up, I had an external 4TB drive connected to the iMac split into a Time Machine partition(name: Kali) and a partition for all of my files. (named: Odin). I bought a new 4TB drive, formatted it in DU and then used DU to block copy the original Kali partition to the new drive, which then inherited the old name too.

I have set that new drive up (Kali 1) as my backup destination on the iMac and it is backing up seamlessly, however on my MacBook Air the disk cannot be seen through the wifi network. In Server.app I went and added the location of the new folder on the new backup drive (that was the same bundle as original because of block copy) but that did not remedy the issue. The drive when being selected on the MBA shows the name of "(null) on Jeffrey's iMac" not "Backups" and when I attempt to connect by entering the password it gives me the error: "OSStatus error 2"

Any help is appreciated, thanks much.
@Weaselboy I always see you answering ?'s about TM in the forums, any ideas?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm sorry, I don't use Server, so I am not that familiar with the ins and outs of TM setup on there. It sounds like it does not like something about the way you cloned over that old disk. Maybe try just reformatting the new disk and start over?

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I'm sorry, I don't use Server, so I am not that familiar with the ins and outs of TM setup on there. It sounds like it does not like something about the way you cloned over that old disk. Maybe try just reformatting the new disk and start over?
Could it be the properties of the Sparse bundle were not copied proper? There is an icon on the bundle that looks like a "Do not enter" sign. Just bouncing ideas. Thanks for your prompt reply.

I suppose I could just delete the backups for my Air and then just make a clean one and call it a day, nothing vital stored in my laptop anyways, all mission critical stuff is on iMac.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Could it be the properties of the Sparse bundle were not copied proper? There is an icon on the bundle that looks like a "Do not enter" sign. Just bouncing ideas. Thanks for your prompt reply.

I suppose I could just delete the backups for my Air and then just make a clean one and call it a day, nothing vital stored in my laptop anyways, all mission critical stuff is on iMac.

If you are seeing that icon, it does sound like the properties did not come over correctly.

Reactions: jgelin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.