Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igorpinto1996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Im trying to do a backup on my Mac, but it stuck saying 'preparing backup'.
When I cancel the backup, its stuck saying Encrypting.

I don't remember exactly, but I think last time I started encrypting the backup disk I cancelled it because it was taking too long.

Is there a solution to this problem?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
You can always delete the backup and start a new one. Post-entryption can take substantial amounts of time, so its best to have an encrypted backup from the start. Usually, "preparing backup" appears for a long period of time if the system can't reliably determine which files have changed and has to compare the differences — which can be a while.

Rob JJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
If I delete the backup, is there something special I need to do to get a new FULL backup?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
If I delete the backup, is there something special I need to do to get a new FULL backup?
The best way to insure a proper reset of an old TM volume is to format the TM volume for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then Select the newly formatted volume in the Time Machine Preference pane. The selected volume will perform a full backup since the new TM volume is empty.

Rob JJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
The best way to insure a proper reset of an old TM volume is to format the TM volume for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then Select the newly formatted volume in the Time Machine Preference pane. The selected volume will perform a full backup since the new TM volume is empty.
Thank you...hadn't thought to do that, but makes sense

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.