Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I try my first backup to my (Synology) NAS. I have created a SMB share as Synology recomends for Time Machine backups.

My MacBook running Catalina started the backup perfectly and 15 hours later it has copied all data, but now it is stuck on "Backed Up: XXX GB" (see attached screenshot). Looking at the Time Machine volume ("Time Machine Backups") I can see that things are copied, but the backup has still the ending ".inProgress".

My question is: Can I somehow rescue this backup and "encourage" Time Machine to finish it? Maybe with a Terminal command? After all Time Machine seems to have copied all the data.

Thanks for any pointers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.39.52.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 11.39.52.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 128

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I actually canceled the backup, because even after days it didn't finish. Will try again and hope it goes better...

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
You seem to have a much smaller backup than I do, so I think your problem is different, but I found that very large backups take much longer to complete and I think it was because of how the NAS did its disk balancing and parity.

I don’t think that’s the reason for it to take so long on a 350GB backup though.

There is a terminal command to allow MacOS to dedicate more resources to the backup. There are links in the above thread but you might want to do some searching around first in case things have changed.

Reactions: halloleo

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Thanks @Analog Kid. The thread you link to is very interesting.

I have tried a second TM run - with the same result: No finsh even after days.

Next I will try the TM tweaks from the mentioned thread and maybe I'll try to connect the computer via a cable to the network and not wirelessly, but it is a newer MacBook without Ethernet socket, so I'd need a Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet adapter. :-(

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
No, still open for me. Good reminder to try again...

Though I ahve decided against buying an wrired adapter. - Would be so nice to backup wirelessly to the NAS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.