Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jespertje93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Hi all!

Since I installed the last beta of Sequioa, automatic backups keep failing with a generic error saying that the backup device was disconnected during backup. Then it proceeds to doing a ‘first backup’, which it is not. That succeeds every time, after taking really long, like 30 min. Then a few hours pass and the same thing happens. This did not happen before I installed the beta. Because it is a generic error, I cannot see what exactly is going wrong.

Any suggestions apart from 'don't install beta's'?

Thanks!

Evilmind

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2024
I have the same issue with time machine backup on samba nas. Generic disconnected error.

Jespertje93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
The 2013 Time Capsule! Sorry, forgot to mention it. Still works perfectly on my macbook without Sequioa.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The 2013 Time Capsule! Sorry, forgot to mention it. Still works perfectly on my macbook without Sequioa.
could be a compatibility issue. either way, it's an old wifi protocol, and a mechanical hard drive that's now over a decade old. might be worth moving on to something newer.

you could try calling apple, get help. and they can tell you the official compatibilties of the time capsule. or just wait, and someone here who uses one might have some tips.

Jespertje93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I know it's old, but it's still working really good. I have another backup in case the HDD fails but I would like to use it until it dies. There should be thousands of other Time Capsules still in use, so I suspect more people will get this problem when upgrading next week?
could be a compatibility issue. either way, it's an old wifi protocol, and a mechanical hard drive that's now over a decade old. might be worth moving on to something newer.

you could try calling apple, get help. and they can tell you the official compatibilties of the time capsule. or just wait, and someone here who uses one might have some tips.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Any suggestions apart from 'don't install beta's'?
If you want to try to glean a clue from Time Machine's log entries, you can use the command below. You might see some detail about the disconnection. Note that not every "error" message is a problem. Run the command in Terminal (from an admin account, for access to the log), then start a TM backup. Hit Control-C to exit the command.

log stream --info --style compact --predicate 'subsystem=="com.apple.TimeMachine"'

(Make sure you get all the quote marks correctly.)

philipdistefano

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2009
I don't know much about the old Time Capsule you're using, but I use my Synology NAS as my Time Machine disk (similar to what you're using, it's network attached storage, not connected to my Mac directly), and I had to enable Bonjour to broadcast via SMB to get Time Machine to be able to even see my backup disk. Removed and readded the disk in Time Machine and it's working fine now. I suspect there's been some change regarding AFP/SMB/Bonjour. Hopefuly there's something you can configure on your Time Capsule to fix this.

Evilmind

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2024
After few days i solved problem for my case (SMB on NAS). In my case problem was network filter (using app LuLu). Some users reporting badly working firewall after upgrade to Sequoia. So try check your settings app and check network setting if it using any filter, or try temporary disable firewall and start backup.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I'm having a problem as well. It starts to run and then I get the Fail message. I did a forced backup right before I installed Sequoia yesterday, and now I get this message. Just trying to back up to a USB C attached Samsung T7. What gives?

Tubularnut

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2019
UK
Also having the network disconnect issue with an iMac and MacBook Pro since upgrading. Also an issue with copying large files (> 500MB) to the NAS, copy stalls and then fails.
NAS is a Synology DS3018xs (DSM 7.2.1) using SMB. Backups grind to a halt after a few GB, and predicts days to complete, before finally failing with a disconnected message.

Using a locally attached disk, they both work fine.

Last edited:

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
I have been unable to back up with Time Machine to NAS (MyCloud EX2 Ultra) since Sonoma. Neither of my 2 Macs can finish the first backup. I eventually gave up and started using Carbon Copy Cloner for NAS backups. CCC works fine.

Reactions: DotCom2

davidburden

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Solved: removed the TM in Settings and re-added. I think maybe a new type of authentication approach so had to be redone?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
At least some of the disconnections above are likely due to macOS changing the MAC address of the Wi-Fi interface. By default Sequoia "rotates" the Wi-Fi MAC (media access control) address at frequent intervals.

This is set in System Settings > Wi-Fi > Details... > Private Wi-Fi address. This can be:
Off - it will use the MAC address in the Wi-Fi hardware,
Fixed - it will use a pseudo-random MAC address but keep it the same for that network,
Rotating - it will change frequently.

The trouble with rotating is that a change of MAC address will mess with a) DHCP and IP address and b) the ARP cache on connected devices.

Make sure it is set to Off or Fixed. You will now get a little Privacy Warning triangle - ignore it. The "Learn more..." link doesn't mention the "Private Wi-Fi address" setting.

Apple has not fully thought through the implications of "rotating".

Edit: I am starting to think that my worries about changing MAC address are unfounded.

Last edited:

Mafamaticks

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2008
Sequoia 15.0.1 was released. One of the things it's supposed to fix was a weird firewall bug that would randomly disconnect established connections.

Since I've been on 15, my ssh connection to my server would randomly drop and I haven't been able to backup to my SMB share using Time Machine either.

While still on 15.0, I disabled my firewall today kicked off Time Machine right after. I made my first back up since I upgraded to Sequoia 15.0.

If 15.0.1 doesn't fix you, try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DotCom2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.