Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexoserox

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
hey guys,
my old Macbook broke and I need a new Macbook. The old Macbook still had Mavericks on it. I always backed up with TimeMachine, just never updated the OS (I know shame on me).
Now I want to buy a new Macbook and I know they are shipped with the latest MacOS High Sierra.
How can I restore my Backup to my future Macbook?
I worry that my Mavericks backups won't work on High Sierra.

Can anybody help please? Thanks :)

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you just use the Migration Assistant feature in MacOS to do this. You will setup your new computer fresh, and then you can import the old user data from the Time Machine backup into a new user profile using Migration Assistant (you can spotlight it to find the app).

Once you have the imported all the data from the old Time Machine Backup to the new user profile, be sure to grant that second user admin rights, and you can then delete the basic admin profile you initially setup the new computer with. But make sure you give the imported profile admin rights before you delete the initial setup profile, or you will have a lot more fun on your hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.