Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Came home lost month to my Macbook whirring away for no discernible reason. Happened again a day or two ago, and then again just now. Also lately it has been waking somewhat slower from sleep than normal. Sound like stuff an SMC reset would take care of? Looking at the support article, they do seem like applicable symptoms, but I'm just a little hesitant. Specs:
Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 2.34.27 PM.png

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Did you perform the appropriate steps listed in the "Before resetting the SMC" section of the support article and what were the results?

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
(courtesy link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295)
  1. All applications are responsive.

2. I put it to sleep manually when the fan started freaking out today.

3. & 4. Two days ago when it happened, computer was shut down.
5. And again, no applications are unresponsive.

No battery problems to speak of (problems charging, inaccurate percentage, etc.). No noticeable problems with backlight of keyboard.

I did check Activity Monitor when it happened today and ol' WindowServer was at 17-18% of CPU, but not the 90% that would indicate that particular problem is acting up. Any other symptoms that might indicate for SMC reset or is that about it?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Came home lost month to my Macbook whirring away for no discernible reason. Happened again a day or two ago, and then again just now. Also lately it has been waking somewhat slower from sleep than normal. Sound like stuff an SMC reset would take care of? Looking at the support article, they do seem like applicable symptoms, but I'm just a little hesitant. Specs:
Give it a try, you can't hurt anything by doing it.

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
Well, I did it (I know, I'm being so dramatic about it :rolleyes:). Computer did seem to be running faster after I did it, time will tell if it fixes the sleep/fan running randomly problems. One thing that further convinced me to do it is the sleep indicator light wouldn't do its usual 'pulsing' light when I closed the lid. Is there any kind of indication that the SMC has been reset within the settings of the Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.