Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

$qwuzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
so here's the deal: we've just gotten some new water lillies for a pond in our garden. over the last few days i've discovered that the flowers actually open and close each day. so that put an idea into my mind: i'd really like to get a timeline of the flowers throughout the day - so maybe a photo every 30minutes or so. but i definitely do not want to have to sit there and press the button each time.

and so then i was thinking - i've just gotten this shiny new macbook, i wonder if there is a program that i can setup on it that will make my 300d take a photo every x minutes? would be great if it was free too, but then again beggars can't be choosers.

thanks for your help

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
If you installed the canon utilities that came with the camera then you already have a program that can handle it. If not you can download it for free off the canon website.

In EOS Utility go to tools<timer capture:

then check the interval box, set the interval timeframe and interval time. And your good to go.

Remember the battery though!!!! You have to turn off auto sleep...etc.
Have fun.

$qwuzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
thanks heaps Mydriasis - looks like i'm going to have to install the canon software after all this time!

dlavaneras - i was under the impression that the intervalometer only worked with the higher end cameras (may be wrong though)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
A Canon DSLR was used to shoot Tim Burton's animated film "Corpse Bride". You should be able to get better than 1080p quality video from your DSLR. It will take a LOT of storage. 1080P is 60 frames per second so a 100 second video is 6,000 frames Shot "tethered" so you can save the image files direct to disk. There is software with can assemble frames into video, even free software.

I just bought a new Sony 1080p LCD TV It will be years before I can afford a 1080 format video camera. I've been looking for a project. where I can use the DSLR to make HD video. Moving cloudscapes is one but yours is a great idea. One problem will be the changing light as the Sun moves. It looks bad to see the light change. You may want to control the light Set up a stobe in a small softbox or bounce setup.

$qwuzzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
dllavaneras - i thought you meant the canon remote control thingo. the higher end canon remote does this, but it's only for higher end dslr's. as far as i know, there is not way to do it with a 300d (or digital rebel) by itself.

ChrisA - i was thinking that the changing light may be part of the charm, but i can see what you mean that it may look bad. i guess the only thing for it is to do it twice! one with a softbox and one without.

what software can i use to assembly the photos into a video?

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
1080P is 60 frames per second

Well, actually the 1080 refers to the number of pixels the image is tall and the p stands for progressive telling you how the image is drawn. 1080p comes in 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p30, 1080p50 and 1080p60; those numbers represent the fps.

what software can i use to assembly the photos into a video?

Anything from QuickTime, Motion, FCP or any stop motion animation app (like Frame Thief or Single Framer).

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I just wanted to tune in & say I don't believe the Rebel can do it itself. (I have the original 300d) I just installed the Canon software tonight, it is really cool.

One note though, I downloaded the RemoteCapture utility from Canon.com and it would NOT launch. I installed the older version of it from my camera's disk and it worked fine.

Best of luck,
Kevin

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I am assuming by your name that you have aperture. You know that you can shoot tethered with that canon software and aperture! (by tethered, I mean the camera is hook up straight to the computer with a usb cable, and the images show up in aperture as soon as you take them)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.