Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
Have had a super cool paid weather app on the App Store for 9 months now but sales going nowhere.

Have a very limited budget and looking for way to promote my app?

Anyone got any good advice? What about paying Youtubers to review the app?

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Have you created any social media accounts for your app? You can use Twitter; FaceBook; WordPress; etc to promote your app.
Be sure to implement Apple's new API for requesting ratings and reviews. After I did this, I saw a significant increase in ratings and an increase in downloads.

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
Have you created any social media accounts for your app? You can use Twitter; FaceBook; WordPress; etc to promote your app.
Be sure to implement Apple's new API for requesting ratings and reviews. After I did this, I saw a significant increase in ratings and an increase in downloads.

Thanks for the tips @TheWatchfulOne . Yep.tried those. We did see a nice uptick in app reviews as well when we implemented the store kit rating api.

Would like to somehow get a review on a major app review site.

If you send me an email (scott.wilsonbilling@mac.com) I can send you a code for our app if you fancy trying it out?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Have you tried Apple's Search Ads? It costs some (after the initial $100 free offer ran out), but paid off for at least one iOS app with which I was involved.

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
Have you tried Apple's Search Ads? It costs some (after the initial $100 free offer ran out), but paid off for at least one iOS app with which I was involved.

I have spent about $200 on search ads. Unfortunately my CPA was always slightly more than the price of the app.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Have had a super cool paid weather app on the App Store for 9 months now but sales going nowhere.

I don't know anything about your app, but the problem may be the market is already mature with free weather apps that are also really cool.

I personally use the weather app included with iOS, My Radar, and Weatherbug.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Does your weather app have any unique features or stand-out differences that no other weather app has or claims to have? If so, try testing keywords representing those unique features (in app update submissions and/or search ads).

If not, too many competitors have likely already completely carved out 100%+ of that space.

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
Does your weather app have any unique features or stand-out differences that no other weather app has or claims to have? If so, try testing keywords representing those unique features (in app update submissions and/or search ads).

If not, too many competitors have likely already completely carved out 100%+ of that space.

The weather app is pretty unique in how the weather is presented and we have (I think) quite a decent app preview showing those.

I suspect the problem is because it's a paid app and this is a natural barrier for many people, especially when free weather apps are available.

I'm in the process of switching to a subscription model so hopefully that might entice a few more people in.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Scott

I have an acquaintance who has a very specialized app and gives the first 90 days for free and then charges 4.95 a year for the service. I believe right now he's approaching about 10,000 subscribers.

Good luck it can be done.

Reactions: scottwb
Apr 19, 2017
Baltimore
I have found the Apple search ads to be the best. Facebook ads are your next best bet. Unless you have a whole bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket do not use Google adwords. Also post info about your app in the "IOS apps" part of Macrumors forum. It's a great way to share what you're working on. I don't think that the YouTube reviews are that great. They typically do not spend enough time using to the app so the videos are very clumsy. I admire you for even trying to make money on an app. Personally I did it for the enjoyment.

Last edited:

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
I have found the Apple search ads to be the best. Facebook ads are your next best bet. Unless you have a whole bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket do not use Google adwords. Also post info about your app in the "IOS apps" part of Macrumors forum. It's a great way to share what you're working on. I don't think that the YouTube reviews are that great. They typically do not spend enough time using to the app so the videos are very clumsy. I admire you for even trying to make money on an app. Personally I did it for the enjoyment.

Thanks for the tips. Not had much success with Facebook ads though.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I'd put your app in your signature here, as a description of what it does (see my sig.) If you are active on MacRumors and helpful, people will check out your sig links.

scottwb

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
UK
I've written a weather bot on Facebook in an attempt to drum up some interest. You can try it out by heading to https://www.facebook.com/WeatherGodsApps/ and then start sending a message or search for "Weather Gods" in Facebook Messenger. Please like my page if you find the bot useful!

You can say stuff like:

• Weather for Chicago tomorrow?
  • Will it rain in LA on Tuesday?
  • Do I need a coat for Moscow on Friday?
  • Will it be sunny in Cupertino?
  • Is it cold on Friday in Paris?

Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.