Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GradyG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
I’ve never lined up for an apple product on launch day. I’d appreciate some help for myself and others reading.

First, how early should I show up? I was thinking an hour before launch. It’s a typical in-mall store.

How much stock will they have? I’m getting SB SS... what are my chances from your experience?

And finally how do they do it? Do they hand out reservation cards in line?

Thanks so much!

mullet

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
B'klyn
I'm no expert on launch day tips, but I'd venture to guess that since we're looking at about a month til shipping if you order right now via apple online, that this watch is going to be very popular. Thus, I'd say that people will start lining up hours in advance, not just an hour, but hours. How many? I can't say. I could be wrong, but this is just a hunch.

porkrind

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2015
From pictures I’ve seen online, people have been lined up since earlier today (Thursday). Getting there an hour before is getting there late enough to be and the end of a big line.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
If you go an hour before launch. Chances are that you won’t get anything or at a min be at the back of a non reservation line that moves very slow.

I reserved an iPhone X for pickup at mall last year and got there prob 8:30 for 9am pickup. Non reservation line went further than I could see as it wrapped around a corner. Easily saw 100 people before it went out of view.

Every store is different. If it were me though I’d probably have driven past the store tonight to see what line if any looked like.

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
If you're not in line now I'd say that going to the store an hour before opening would be for the experience. You're more than likely not going to leave with a series 4 watch. Hope I'm wrong, but early indicators seems to suggest a very limited supply.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2009
I've found that the rules can be a little different from store to store. For example some mall Apple Stores won't open the mall until a certain time and won't let you camp out. Then in another year they wouldn't let people into the mall to wait until an hour before opening. The whole crowd of us waited in the parking lot. Also, this year it seems like the SS is more difficult to get, while in the past it was the aluminum. No doubt the more of the aluminum are sold, but it seems maybe Apple misjudged the demand for the SS this time around. I'd advise to call mall security to find out their current rules for waiting, which can change a bit by the hour, and to get their early as you can. The rest is a bit of random luck.

Jessie.james88888

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
If you go an hour before launch. Chances are that you won’t get anything or at a min be at the back of a non reservation line that moves very slow.

I reserved an iPhone X for pickup at mall last year and got there prob 8:30 for 9am pickup. Non reservation line went further than I could see as it wrapped around a corner. Easily saw 100 people before it went out of view.

Every store is different. If it were me though I’d probably have driven past the store tonight to see what line if any looked like.

Anyone know for Hong Kong if I have a reservation at 9am can I still pick up in the evening time or will it be cancelled?

Mandycheskin

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Anyone know for Hong Kong if I have a reservation at 9am can I still pick up in the evening time or will it be cancelled?

Usually for the first day reservations do not cancel so you can pick up at anytime. This is what I found in the past few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.