Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Hiya,

Thought I would post here as you guys have experience with high quality optical glass.

I wear expensive glasses (300-500 dollars just for the lenses) with good quality lenses - without them I'm almost legally blind. I depend on the clarity of my eyesight for all my work, and can detect any dust on my glasses.

I have to clean my glasses almost every couple of hours, as in this hot dusty city it only takes a few minutes for dust to start landing on my glasses.

I've already completely ruined one pair of glasses by cleaning them on my shirt / tissue paper - they're now covered in a haze of microscratches, so I need cleaning tips for my future glasses.

I currently use some 6x4 squares of cleaning fabric my optician gave me for free, but I have no idea of the 'expert' way to use it, how many days I can use one for, etc.

What are your tips?

A $1000 dollar cleaning solution would be too much, (but tell me about it if one exists). I could probably go for spending $100 -200 per year on keeping my glasses spotless.

I also have a bottle of iKlear style laptop LCD cleaning wipes and spray, but am a bit dubious about using them on my valuable glasses.

It's not just dust I have deal with, also things like flecks of paint, greasy fingerprints from my baby daughter etc.

Thanks for any advice

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
My eye doctor recommends using a generic lens cleaner / water mixture and a fine lens cloth. I haven't had any problems with it.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
When I bought my last pair of glasses, the optician sold me something called California Clear, which is specifically made for cleaning eyeglasses. I don't know if it would be available over in the UK, though. I squirt a little of this on each lens, then wipe the glasses with a very soft cloth -- works great! I also have from time to time used the wonderful RadTech lensavrz cloths that I use on my camera lenses as well as my iMac and laptop monitor screens.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Thanks Clixplix - I had a look at the RadTech Lensavrz site

http://www.radtech.us/Products/LensavRz.aspx

I might order some of these or whatever they have here in the UK. I didn't know they were washable - that's good to know.

Soz to repeat myself, but do you guys wash / discard your cloths after every time you use them?

I'm thinking about the muck on the cloth from the first time causing microscratches the second time you use it.

I clean my glasses every few hours compared to only cleaning my LCD screen and camera lens maybe once or twice a month, so the potentional for small scratches building up is much higher with my glasses. (That's how I ruined my first pair of expensive glasses :(

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
The thought of liquids getting near my lenses makes me all queasy.

I just use a generic eye glass lens cleaner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.