Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
How could I have kept both the statuette and flower in the focus? I took this picture with my Nikon D70, stock Nikor lens, automatic setting.

The bloom was probably 2 inches in front of the statuette.

File size: 171.6 KB

Attachments

• focus_help.jpg
    focus_help.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 77

.JahJahwarrior.

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
That's called your depth of field. For greater depth of field, use a higher aperture number. This will mean less light getting to the sensor, so you'll have to use a slower shutter speed, a higher ISO or find a way to get more light in there.

And it's not always possible to get everything you want in focus.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Find your recommended shutter speed (see what number pops up when you focus in Auto/Progam) then go into manuel, increase the aperture, and lower the shutter speed, and maybe a higher ISO.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
The bloom was probably 2 inches in front of the statuette.

And how far was the camera from the flower? Try backing up some and zooming in instead of shooting up close. The ratio between the cameras distance from the flower and the flower's distance from the statue is just as important in determining depth of field as the aperture.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Haha, I was going to suggest the opposite.

Use the shortest focal length you have (say 18 mm), set your aperture to f/8 or f/10, and focus to a point between them. I mean, if the distance between the flowers and statue is 2", then focus on the statue, lean backwards 1", and shoot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.