Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
Hey folks, I'm after a bit of advice re whether or not to buy a base model MacBook Air.

My story is that I've had a couple of MacBook Pros over the last 9.5yrs (Early 2011 MBP 320GB HDD 4GB RAM and Late 2013 rMBP 128GB SSD 4GB RAM). I'm in education, so can get the 3yr warranties for any Macs I buy.

The time has come to upgrade, as I can't download the Big Sur update due to insufficient storage. The question is what to upgrade to!

Before the M1 announcement, I would have said that I was stuck on getting another MBP. However, since the announcement, I've been thinking about the benefits of a MBA. I didn't consider a MBA when I got my current MBP, as the display resolutions were poor, and the ports were limited. However, things have moved on since then, and the display on a MBA is nearly in the realms of that of the MBP. I simply don't think I can justify the extra expense of a MBP these days, when the gap between MBA and MBP is getting closer. The issue I have though is what spec to go for...

My current MBP feels lethargic, probably a sympton of it only having 4GB RAM. Will 8GB be enough, or should I push to 16GB? I'm not a heavy user by any stretch of the imagination, mainly just use for web browsing, photo viewing, iTunes for my iPhone 12 (256GB) and Office 365. My work laptop (Windows) has 16GB RAM, which is great, but I know that MacOS is/was fine with less RAM compared to Windows. If I could add extra RAM myself, it would be one thing, but knowing I have to specify the RAM at time of order makes it a tad more difficult.

Then there's the SSD...obvioulsy 128GB isn't enough for me, based on my current predicament. 256GB would give me at least 128GB headroom, but maybe 512GB would be more future-proof.

I guess what it's boiling down to is whether 8GB/256GB is gonna be good for much else than simple web browsing etc? What usage are others getting from a base model?

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
8GB is likely fine, but if you are planning to keep the machine for more than the 3yr warranty, or think you may start to do more things, like perhaps some light photo/video editing, I'd recommend 16GB since its non up-gradable. You can re-work how you use storage but you can't change how much RAM apps take up.

Storage all depends on how you work and store your files. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription that comes with 1TB of OneDrive so for me I rarely use over 100GB of storage at anytime as all my files are kept in the cloud, if I'm not needing them I just don't keep them locally. It both means I use less storage (saves me money on purchasing more) and my files can all be accessed from my mobile devices(iPhone, android phone and iPad). As such I only buy 256GB of storage on a computer.

Personally since you seem to keep machines a while I'd suggest the 16/256 model.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
From your description of web, photo, itunes, O365 you should be fine with an Air in an 8/256 or 8/512 config.

Given you found need to buy the upgraded 256GB phone, that's likely reason to be at a higher storage on your computer, so likely the 8/512 may be the better option. It won't hurt to bump up to 16 if you have the cash and plan to keep the system a long time.

Reactions: njek

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
8GB is likely fine, but if you are planning to keep the machine for more than the 3yr warranty, or think you may start to do more things, like perhaps some light photo/video editing, I'd recommend 16GB since its non up-gradable.

Storage all depends on how you work and store your files. I have a Microsoft 365 subscription that comes with 1TB of OneDrive so for me I rarely use over 100GB of storage at anytime as all my files are kept in the cloud, if I'm not needing them I just don't keep them locally. It both means I use less storage (saves me money on purchasing more) and my files can all be accessed from my mobile devices(iPhone, android phone and iPad). As such I only buy 256GB of storage on a computer.

Personally since you seem to keep machines a while I'd suggest the 16/256 model.
Ideally, I'll upgrade again in 3yrs...I just missed the upgrade I should have made in 2017. My plan would be to stay within Apple waranty at all times

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hey folks, I'm after a bit of advice re whether or not to buy a base model MacBook Air.

My story is that I've had a couple of MacBook Pros over the last 9.5yrs (Early 2011 MBP 320GB HDD 4GB RAM and Late 2013 rMBP 128GB SSD 4GB RAM). I'm in education, so can get the 3yr warranties for any Macs I buy.

The time has come to upgrade, as I can't download the Big Sur update due to insufficient storage. The question is what to upgrade to!

Before the M1 announcement, I would have said that I was stuck on getting another MBP. However, since the announcement, I've been thinking about the benefits of a MBA. I didn't consider a MBA when I got my current MBP, as the display resolutions were poor, and the ports were limited. However, things have moved on since then, and the display on a MBA is nearly in the realms of that of the MBP. I simply don't think I can justify the extra expense of a MBP these days, when the gap between MBA and MBP is getting closer. The issue I have though is what spec to go for...

My current MBP feels lethargic, probably a sympton of it only having 4GB RAM. Will 8GB be enough, or should I push to 16GB? I'm not a heavy user by any stretch of the imagination, mainly just use for web browsing, photo viewing, iTunes for my iPhone 12 (256GB) and Office 365. My work laptop (Windows) has 16GB RAM, which is great, but I know that MacOS is/was fine with less RAM compared to Windows. If I could add extra RAM myself, it would be one thing, but knowing I have to specify the RAM at time of order makes it a tad more difficult.

Then there's the SSD...obvioulsy 128GB isn't enough for me, based on my current predicament. 256GB would give me at least 128GB headroom, but maybe 512GB would be more future-proof.

I guess what it's boiling down to is whether 8GB/256GB is gonna be good for much else than simple web browsing etc? What usage are others getting from a base model?
From what you said perhaps you need to upgrade the storage. From my understanding you already are using 128 GB so it's not good to start off half full with a new computer. Now I can't imagine that is being used for anything other than thousands of photos and videos on your computer. If you were to offload those to iCloud or another cloud that could fix your storage issue. If you can't or don't want to do this then absolutely get 512 GB.

As to the RAM for what you listed "web browsing, photo viewing, iTunes", 8 GB should be more than enough. Yes your 7 year old MBP is slow because of 4GB of RAM but everything else matches the slow so even if it had more I doubt it would be a huge change. After that long computers become slower attempting to run programs made for newer ones. This one in 7 years will be the same. If you get 16 GB of RAM it might be slightly faster but still stupid slow compared to the 2028 MacBook Air.

The questions you have to ask yourself are: Is the $200 for extra RAM even a bother for your budget? If you have to think about it then maybe don't get it. If the $200 is a "IDC it's just a small amount" to you then it won't hurt to add it. There's no disadvantage

My final thought is wait for the review before buying. You waited almost a decade so even a delay of a month because of shipping isn't going to hurt you

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
From your description of web, photo, itunes, O365 you should be fine with an Air in an 8/256 or 8/512 config.

Given you found need to buy the upgraded 256GB phone, that's likely reason to be at a higher storage on your computer, so likely the 8/512 may be the better option. It won't hurt to bump up to 16 if you have the cash and plan to keep the system a long time.
The only reason I went for the 256GB iPhone is that I got the Pro Max, and I knew that any HDR Dolby Vision videos were gonna eat into the 128GB base option...my actual storage right now is only 38GB

sultanq

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
For now, as long as you don't do heavy image processing or video editing or number crunching, 8 GB RAM is sufficient. However, for future-proofing (software tends to get more bloated and RAM hungry over time), I'd recommend 16 GB. The extra RAM is also good for media editing or heavy number crunching or running virtual machines or docker containers or compiling big code bases or having dozens of browser tabs open at once.

Similarly, for SSD, what do you store on your computer? Do you intend to have virtual machines, big games, or store lots of photos and videos? If so, get at least 512 GB, or even 1 TB. On the other hand, if all you store on your computer is applications, some documents, and a few not-too-high resolution photos, then 256 GB is sufficient.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Ideally, I'll upgrade again in 3yrs...I just missed the upgrade I should have made in 2017. My plan would be to stay within Apple waranty at all times
Really as long as your computer does what you need, that's kind of a waste of money. If a laptop does what you need for 6 years, then why not keep it those 6 years? Buying a new one ever time the warranty is out gains you nothing. If it dies in year 5, thats still 2 extra years of interest you gained on that $1200

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
The only reason I went for the 256GB iPhone is that I got the Pro Max, and I knew that any HDR Dolby Vision videos were gonna eat into the 128GB base option...my actual storage right now is only 38GB
Exactly - once you transfer videos to the computer to edit on them and so forth you'll be burning up storage.

Only you know your actual needs/expectations, but give thought to what you'll be doing with your phone & computer and what you may want as internal storage. Externals SSDs are nice, and they're fast these days, and they're also a pain in the azz for stuff you need to work with on an everyday basis.

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
From what you said perhaps you need to upgrade the storage. From my understanding you already are using 128 GB so it's not good to start off half full with a new computer. Now I can't imagine that is being used for anything other than thousands of photos and videos on your computer. If you were to offload those to iCloud or another cloud that could fix your storage issue. If you can't or don't want to do this then absolutely get 512 GB.

As to the RAM for what you listed "web browsing, photo viewing, iTunes", 8 GB should be more than enough. Yes your 7 year old MBP is slow because of 4GB of RAM but everything else matches the slow so even if it had more I doubt it would be a huge change. After that long computers become slower attempting to run programs made for newer ones. This one in 7 years will be the same. If you get 16 GB of RAM it might be slightly faster but still stupid slow compared to the 2028 MacBook Air.

The questions you have to ask yourself are: Is the $200 for extra RAM even a bother for your budget? If you have to think about it then maybe don't get it. If the $200 is a "IDC it's just a small amount" to you then it won't hurt to add it. There's no disadvantage

My final thought is wait for the review before buying. You waited almost a decade so even a delay of a month because of shipping isn't going to hurt you
Cloud storage is a good argument...I have the 200GB plan at the moment, with 102GB used. I've stopped myself upgrading that, as I didn't want to pay the extra. However, maybe I'll do a cost comparison between the monthly saving of 256GB vs 512GB on the MBA itself, versus 200GB vs 2TB iCloud (extra £4.50 per month). Then I could worry-free shift a lot of my stuff to iCloud.

Deffo not buying right now, will be waiting for the reviews in any case :)

Reactions: russell_314

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
Cloud storage is a good argument...I have the 200GB plan at the moment, with 102GB used. I've stopped myself upgrading that, as I didn't want to pay the extra. However, maybe I'll do a cost comparison between the monthly saving of 256GB vs 512GB on the MBA itself, versus 200GB vs 2TB iCloud (extra £4.50 per month). Then I could worry-free shift a lot of my stuff to iCloud.

Wait, you have Office 365, why not use the 1TB of OneDrive you have? I have the OneDrive app on my phone back up my pics and videos.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I ordered a maxed out Mini. I'm hoping it will run for a long time. My 2015 iMac is just garbage. I was thinking about waiting for the next iMac, but my WFH setup has a monitor so no need to spend more.

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
Really as long as your computer does what you need, that's kind of a waste of money. If a laptop does what you need for 6 years, then why not keep it those 6 years? Buying a new one ever time the warranty is out gains you nothing. If it dies in year 5, thats still 2 extra years of interest you gained on that $1200
I've had multiple repairs on both MBPs undertaken by Apple within warranty periods...hence my preference to stay within warranty at all times. Apple products are great, but they're not trouble-free by any means! Current MBP had 2x top case replacements due to separate trackpad issue and battery issue

• Wow

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
Wait, you have Office 365, why not use the 1TB of OneDrive you have? I have the OneDrive app on my phone back up my pics and videos.
It's a work O365 subscription, so the 1TB of OneDrive is attached to that. Hence I can't use it for personal storage. I have a personal 5GB OneDrive and, as mentioned above, 200GB iCloud.

AltecX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Philly
I've had multiple repairs on both MBPs undertaken by Apple within warranty periods...hence my preference to stay within warranty at all times. Apple products are great, but they're not trouble-free by any means! Current MBP had 2x top case replacements due to separate trackpad issue and battery issue
Yes, but thats my point. Dont replace it when the warranty is up, replace it when something out of warranty breaks.

Reactions: jbachandouris

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

IMO iCloud or something similar is the way to go since you can access everything on every device. If I just have my phone I can pull up a document I typed on my Mac. Either way don't consider cloud a backup. Spend the extra few bucks for an external SSD and save your files.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I ordered a maxed out Mini. I'm hoping it will run for a long time. My 2015 iMac is just garbage. I was thinking about waiting for the next iMac, but my WFH setup has a monitor so no need to spend more.
That's on my Christmas list but don't be heartbroken when they come up with a "Pro" model maybe in mid or late 2021. Just my guess of what will happen.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I am most likely picking one up tomorrow to upgrade from my current 2015 (8GB/256GB).

This configuration has served me well for the last 3-4 years and I don't anticipate any change in usage.

I WANT a 16" MBP, but I'm not in the market for a $2400 machine at the moment....

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Yes, but thats my point. Dont replace it when the warranty is up, replace it when something out of warranty breaks.
There's two schools of thought here. You can sell it even out of warranty and get some of your money back. If you wait till it breaks you won't get anything.

njek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Warminster, UK
Well, the reviews are out...and what amazing reviews they are! The base model 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU, 8GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD appears to trounce even a MacBook Pro 16" 32GB RAM, Core i9, 9980HK, Radeon Pro 5500M in Geekbench 5:

MBA - 7454 Multi-core, 1730 Single-core
MBP - 7346 Multi-core, 1226 Single-core

Similar results in Geekbench R23:

MBA - 6838 Multi-core, 1496 Single-core
MBP - 9024 Multi-core, 1144 Single-core

Also in HandBrake 1.4:

MBA - 326 H.265 videotoolbox (seconds), 1415 H.265 x 265 (seconds)
MBP - 327 H.265 videotoolbox (seconds), 1277 H.265 x 265 (seconds)

Looks like a pretty easy decision for me to make, stick with the 256GB SSD, and will future-proof myself with 16GB RAM - have already upgraded my iCloud storage to 2TB today

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.