Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmccall77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2020
Hello,
I really need a new laptop. I'm an Average Joe, who *may* wind up making videos to teach online classes next year.
With all I've read about Catalina and other Mac changes, should I stick with Apple? Anyone else jump ship lately? Or maybe I should stick with Mac, but wait till the new release in September? Advice please!

4sallypat

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
As a network tech for a K-12 public school district, I would say yes, Apple is much better suited for teaching and learning.

We use both PC and Mac platforms in our school district but I find the teaching staff for K-8 use Macs predominantly.
For 9-12 grades, the common platform is PC due to the business productivity needs and graduation courses.
Administration is split between Mac and PC - about 50-50 - depends on what the admin user wants to do....
Then the 100% PC department is at the district office where everyone uses a PC for purely business.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
It's difficult to say which you should buy. Some of the things you have to ask yourself is: which operating system do you feel comfortable and/or familiar with using? What do you mean by making videos? As in actually creating and editing or just using webcam like video conferencing? What is your budget and then determining what hardware requirements such as storage, memory and processor, etc.

If you decide on the Mac, Apple does provide a discount for educators. You can find more information at https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop

Reactions: Falhófnir

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
And if you do purchase a new Mac, make sure you budget for AppleCare extended warranty. And before the warranty expires think seriously about selling it......!
I say this because if you get problems once the warranty has expired, asking and seeing a repair quote will make you shudder. Mac's don't appear to be so reliable these days and financially for most users their modular design renders them virtually unrepairable. Sad but true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.