Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I have a 15" 2008 MBP, 2.4GHz, 200GBHD & 4GB Ram, the display went on. Took it to the Apple store a few weeks ago and was told it would be 300 dollars to fix but that it would be on there "Antique List" after the 5 year mark. Now I just spent 800 little over a year ago because it was loaned out to a family member who sat on it. So more or less it's been rebuilt.

I was picking up a new 15" rMBP yesterday and asked one of the genius's I know about it and he researched it, and said yes it can be repaired, and that it would hit there list later this summer. He said they go through everything and replace what needs or look's like it mite be on its way out.

All I'm asking is would YOU spend the money to fix it? I'm 50 50, it was my first Mac also. I doubt I'll get a decent price for selling, but hey who knows right?

Thank you

Last edited:

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
I am wondering why you spent $800 to fix it a year ago? You should have just bought new at that point.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I have a 15" 2008 MBP, 2.4GHz, 200GBHD & 4GB Ram, the display went on. Took it to the Apple store a few weeks ago and was told it would be 300 dollars to fix but that it would be on there "Antique List" after the 5 year mark. Now I just spent 800 little over a year ago because it was loaned out to a family member who sat on it. So more or less it's been rebuilt.

I was picking up a new 15" rMBP yesterday and asked one of the genius's I know about it and he researched it, and said yes it can be repaired, and that it would hit there list later this summer. He said they go through everything and replace what needs or look's like it mite be on its way out.

All I'm asking is would YOU spend the money to fix it? I'm 50 50, it was my first Mac also. I doubt I'll get a decent price for selling, but hey who knows right?

Thank you

Is it the unibody or the 'old' body?

What do you mean it goes on the 'antique list'? No more support or repairs?

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Is it the unibody or the 'old' body?

What do you mean it goes on the 'antique list'? No more support or repairs?

It's the old body, and Apple has a list that once your serial number come's up for the 5 year list they won't repair it anymore. I said Antique list at the store and the Genius said yes.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
It's the old body, and Apple has a list that once your serial number come's up for the 5 year list they won't repair it anymore. I said Antique list at the store and the Genius said yes.

If it was the unibody it would have been worth considering, for the old one I wouldn't invest 300$ - you can get a (working) used one for that money.

Maybe you can fix it yourself?
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...26+and+A1260+Display+Assembly+Replacement/687

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...Laptop_Screens_LCD_Panels&hash=item1c3bfdb97c

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
If it's the graphics card (8600 GT) that failed, go get a new computer. You'd spend more fixing it than the computer is worth. If the display is cracked, it's a couple hundred dollar repair, as apple said

JunkyJeff

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
You can still hook up an external monitor and use it as a backup machine for stuff..

I'm with this guy, you'd still be able to use it more like a desktop and maybe pick up the 15" rMBP for your new machine.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Sounds like the 8600M went out. Apple usually quotes $310 for a refurbished motherboard, but under some circumstances they quote $510.

It's definitely worth a $300 repair. Do you have someone you could pass it on to? Perhaps they'd be glad to get a decent laptop for $300?

It will make a great jukebox and also a decent desktop for ordinary use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.