Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When installing a macOS, to a 1TB drive, I was thinking that it might be an advantages to partition the drive into two, so that the 1st partition is 100GB and the 2nd 900GB. The purpose -as i think of it- is to have the OS in its dedicated partition and keep the users working files to a different. Correct me if im wrong, but I would prolly keep the 1st partition so that i can install there only OS files, apps etc. and erase it anytime i wish to upgrade to the next OS, without touching the files on the 2nd partition.
Let me know your comments. Btw, not that it matters, but just to let u know, i can only install HSierra cause my iMac is an ancient but still worthy 27" mid2010 corei7 :)

Last edited:

Strategia

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
Recent macOS versions already use APFS containers to separate the system volume and your data.

Strategia

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
If you open Disk Utility and press "Show All Volumes" you should see one partition with your volume label (typically Macintosh HD), and one partition with your volume name and "- Data" attached to the end of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.