Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
I have found RTT v. 12 that claims to be universal, but it fails to install for me. Roxio website has nothing useful at all.

(I happen to have licenses for v. 11 and v. 12, so only looking for the dmg or pkg of the app, provided either of these is the latest Universal one.)

I have found RTT v. 12 that claims to be universal, but it fails to install for me. Roxio website has nothing useful at all.

My understanding is Roxio Toast Titanium support for PowerPC architecture ends with the Toast 10.0.9 update.

Toast Titanium 11 will install on 10.5.8, but it and most of the ancillary applications (Disc Cover 3 RE, Get Backup 2 RE, and DiscCatalogMaker excepted) are Intel only:

1639530768620.png

The above, as seen in 10.5.8 on a PowerPC Mac.

Which is to say: it is possible, if not likely that Toast 11 can install and run from 10.5.8, but that would need to be on an Intel Mac. It’s possible Toast 12 is the same or, given when it was put on sale, one of the applications which works on an Intel Mac running 10.6.7 or higher.

Reactions: barracuda156

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
My understanding is Roxio Toast Titanium support for PowerPC architecture ends with the Toast 10.0.9 update.

Toast Titanium 11 will install on 10.5.8, but it and most of the ancillary applications (Disc Cover 3 RE, Get Backup 2 RE, and DiscCatalogMaker excepted) are Intel only:

View attachment 1928590

The above, as seen in 10.5.8 on a PowerPC Mac.

Which is to say: it is possible, if not likely that Toast 11 can install and run from 10.5.8, but that would need to be on an Intel Mac. It’s possible Toast 12 is the same or, given when it was put on sale, one of the applications which works on an Intel Mac running 10.6.7 or higher.

There may exist different installers. Toast had stripped versions of itself. We need to look for a full installation; the fact that some installer is Intel-only in itself is not enough.

There may exist different installers. Toast had stripped versions of itself. We need to look for a full installation; the fact that some installer is Intel-only in itself is not enough.

No.

If you go back to the week Roxio released Toast 11 Titanium (early March 2011), the system requirements explicitly cite the need for an Intel processor.

As described earlier, the installer may install it properly on a PowerPC Mac, but the application itself is an Intel binary.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
No.

If you go back to the week Roxio released Toast 11 Titanium (early March 2011), the system requirements explicitly cite the need for an Intel processor.

As described earlier, the installer may install it properly on a PowerPC Mac, but the application itself is an Intel binary.

Thank you. Weirdly, v. 12 installs on 10.5.8 PPC (it refuses to install on 10.6), however installs into root directory (not Applications) and the resulting binary is Intel-only.

Even more weirdly, on of its Pro Apps is still Universal:

Screenshot 2021-12-15 13-00-06.png

Thank you. Weirdly, v. 12 installs on 10.5.8 PPC (it refuses to install on 10.6), however installs into root directory (not Applications) and the resulting binary is Intel-only.

Even more weirdly, on of its Pro Apps is still Universal:

View attachment 1928728

Unless there’s a step in the installer script to expressly check for target architecture, then the installer will install the software just fine, even if the software itself is incompatible with the architecture.

This also occurs when trying to install RAlink drivers for USB-based wifi in the PowerPC environment: that installer script only checks to verify that the major version of the target’s operating system meets the requirements (i.e., 10.5, 10.6, etc.). The drivers for that software are Intel-only in the 10.6 install, and the 10.5 install won’t work on Builds 10A96 or 10A190.

When did 11/12 come out ? I can imagine this was after 2011/2012 - though, a burning program could have been made universal binary.

Having used both Toast 10 Titanium and Toast 11 Titanium across different Macs, I can attest there are very few feature updates between the pair to worry oneself over.

Aside from a facelifted front-end, a couple of features moved to different spots, and a couple of minor preset quality increment settings added, both can burn up to dual-layer Blu-Ray media with almost identical presets:

Toast 10 Titanium (10.09) on PowerPC Leopard (and Snow Leopard): Video
1640946984152.png

Toast 11 Titanium (11.2) on Intel Snow Leopard: Video
1640947259114.png

tl;dr: The updates — closer to feature creep, really — are not worth worrying oneself over unless one’s into the anxiety of that planned obsolescence thing.

barracuda156

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
the 10.5 install won’t work on Builds 10A96 or 10A190.

Wonder if there is a way to bypass that. Carbon Copy Cloner doesn’t start on 10.6 PPC, asking for 10.5, TechTool Pro installer doesn’t work for the same reason, etc.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Wonder if there is a way to bypass that. Carbon Copy Cloner doesn’t start on 10.6 PPC, asking for 10.5, TechTool Pro installer doesn’t work for the same reason, etc.
If they’re just checking for the version number, (temporarily) modifying /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist (and ServerVersion.plist if present) to report 10.5.8 should be the next thing to try.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.