Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
If we toggle off the button for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth in Control centre, it switches off there.
However, the wi-Fi and Bluetooth buttons do not change their state as shown in Settings App. In other words, the toggling in Control Centre does disconnect the connection but does not change the status of on or off in the Settings App.

iOS Beta 3, iPhone 7

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
If we toggle off the button for Wi-Fi or Bluetooth in Control centre, it switches off there.
However, the wi-Fi and Bluetooth buttons do not change their state as shown in Settings App. In other words, the toggling in Control Centre does disconnect the connection but does not change the status of on or off in the Settings App.

iOS Beta 3, iPhone 7

The buttons in control center no longer disable the radios. They just disconnect active connections. This leaves wifi and bt available for passive uses like assisted GPS, watch and handoff/continuity connections. You can disable radios individually in Settings or all of them by enabling Airplane mode.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
The buttons in control center no longer disable the radios. They just disconnect active connections. This leaves wifi and bt available for passive uses like assisted GPS, watch and handoff/continuity connections. You can disable radios individually in Settings or all of them by enabling Airplane mode.
Thanks.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I really don't like that. When I use CC to disable WiFi its because I want it off. Same with BT.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I really don't like that. When I use CC to disable WiFi its because I want it off. Same with BT.

It's definitely going to be controversial, It's even easily solvable by them adding a long/3d press action, but I think it's a good default action. The radios do so much more than just enable whatever current, active connection you may have at this point.

I wonder if it was at least partially driven by support metrics ("I keep seeing a message about enabling wifi for location services!", "My watch doesn't work!", "My pencil doesn't work!", "The little icon that used to pop in the dock doesn't work!")

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's definitely going to be controversial, It's even easily solvable by them adding a long/3d press action, but I think it's a good default action. The radios do so much more than just enable whatever current, active connection you may have at this point.

I wonder if it was at least partially driven by support metrics ("I keep seeing a message about enabling wifi for location services!", "My watch doesn't work!", "My pencil doesn't work!", "The little icon that used to pop in the dock doesn't work!")
Yeah, or even a simple toggle in control center settings. Its just annoying because I've been using it one way for how many years now? Old habits die hard.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, or even a simple toggle in control center settings. Its just annoying because I've been using it one way for how many years now? Old habits die hard.

Yes, I agree. It will take some getting used to. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they even walk it back between now and GM. While it suits the way I use it (I probably just want to disconnect from wifi network or BT device temporarily but don't necessarily want everything else to break, or to have to remember to switch it back on later. Other than that I haven't micro-managed radios since I got a 5s) I definitely won't say it will rest easy with everyone.

Reactions: Mlrollin91
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.