Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've been very happy with the few Tokina lenses I've owned over the years (okay, "few" means "two" - and one of those was back in the early 90s).

I am not a big Ken Rockwell fan, though, so his recommendation wouldn't really sway me either way. But I'll be interested to see what others say as they get hold of this lens.

A wide-angle f/2.8 would be fairly specialized. My wide-angle Tokina 12-24 is mainly used for landscape shots; so while it's f/4 I don't really need anything wider than f/8 or f/11. :D

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
just realized this isn't sold here yet doh. But for 599, i will get one when it comes out. And expect supply to run out quick.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
just realized this isn't sold here yet doh. But for 599, i will get one when it comes out. And expect supply to run out quick.

You can bet on that. I would think that it would cost under $700.00 US, since the demand for it is quite high.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
if you're into super wide lenses this might be the one for you. A nice write-up from ken rockwell (he's VERY partial to nikon and canon lenses) so if he thinks this lens is awesome that's saying a lot.

Not really. He doesn't have very tough standards when it comes to testing lenses. He has written reviews for lenses he hadn't even used. :p

Not a big fan of his either, although some of his articles are decent.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not really. He doesn't have very tough standards when it comes to testing lenses. He has written reviews for lenses he hadn't even used. :p

I second that. While I enjoy most of his articles I certainly don't put all my faith in his reviews.

Adrien Baker

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Bakersfield, Ca.

He's very up front when he comments about lenses that he hasn't actually used. When he does do this, I wouldn't say he "reviews" them, he just makes basic statements. His actual 'reviews' are quite a bit in-depth.

He writes mostly to a target audience, as his writings and opinions aren't for everyone.

Obviously, he makes a living from his website and that says he's doing something right.

Adrien

Paul Turpin

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
Bellingham, WA
I am excited about this lens, and have ordered one.
I also own the Tokina 12-24, and I like it. But - I find myself wanting something both wider and faster - so this should be it!

For the record - Rockwell did use the one he reviewed, someone brought him one from Japan where you can already get them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.