Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clams

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
Any of you guys hear anything about the Tokina 50-135mm f/2.8? I'm thinking of getting a normal telephoto and this one seems to be decent on price ($530), size, and speed. I haven't heard much about it other than the smattering of reviews though. Oh and I'm looking at the one for the EF-S mount.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I haven't heard much, either, but all of it has been positive...

grab one from somewhere without a restocking fee. then make your own review for posterity :rolleyes:

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Tokina lenses are beautifully crafted, I own the 12-24 mm lens. They're a joy to use, the built quality is way above that of Sigma and Tamron. Since you have set your mind on a (very reasonable) zoom range, the only competitor is Sigma's 50-150 mm zoom -- which isn't supposed to be better at least.*

I would simply get one and see if you like it.

* The Tokina is sharper, but suffers from chromatic abberations -- which are easy to correct if you shoot RAW.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The Tokina 50-135mm is an outstanding lens by most accounts. There are a few reviews of it online if you look around. Tokina's build quality is more like Nikon and Canon's premium lenses than most of Sigma's. Tokina doesn't make a wide range of lenses, but the ones they do make are generally very good (the 11-16 is one of the best wide angles out there).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.