Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I dunno, I would think the "bonus" items are all sub-par or not very good, the extra battery I think is a necessity, but the one offered is probably very off brand who knows about long term life. The 8gb card as well may be crud.

http://www.adorama.com/INKD40KR.html?searchinfo=nikon d40&item_no=9

same main package for 442.02 from Adorama. I didn't check B&H but they probably have the same package and maybe even a touch cheaper.

Nova10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
wow thanks for doing my research for me - next time i wont be so lazy!

really though, thanks alot - camera and kit are on their way

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I dunno, I would think the "bonus" items are all sub-par or not very good, the extra battery I think is a necessity, but the one offered is probably very off brand who knows about long term life.

Why would you say an extra battery is a necessity? I am by no means a pro but I am a pretty heavy user of my D90 and have never came close to fully draining it.

Sure for an amateur it adds convenience but I think it is a necessity only for the pros, either that or if you are going to be away from any power outlets for an extended period.

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Why would you say an extra battery is a necessity? I am by no means a pro but I am a pretty heavy user of my D90 and have never came close to fully draining it.

Sure for an amateur it adds convenience but I think it is a necessity only for the pros, either that or if you are going to be away from any power outlets for an extended period.

Ok, maybe not a necessity, but most definitely a convenience that once you get used to is hard to live without. Just once having to wait for the one battery you have to charge up is more than I can stand. Of course I've had several 200+ click days in a row and can't always get the battery on the charger. For every camera i've ever had a back up battery has been something I insist on. but I guess you're right, not a necessity.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

I am not a professional and I have no less than 4 batteries for my dSLR. It may not be that you use all of the battery during a shoot, but that you forget to charge the battery and you always need to have one handy :eek:

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Well if you are going on a "shoot" then I'd say you qualify as a pro and then yes an extra battery would become a necessity. I'm just saying I've never had reason to use an extra battery while out shooting as an amateur, it is just the inconvenience of not being able to use your camera while the one battery is charging.

Now that doesn't mean I don't some day have my eye on a batter grip and extra batteries, in fact they are on my Amazon wishlist it just means I don't see it as a must have at initial purchase.

zebbz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
London
ive just sold my nikon d40x
and nor would i say i'm a professional photographer

but i would like to say

at least an extra battery should be very important

i only had the one that comes with it

and on days out photographing i always used to find the battery used to start getting drained out towards the end of the day say, a backup would be a very good idea at times like those.

another time extra ones would have been useful, i went to a family members house for the holidays and brang my camera, but randomly forgot my charger
i had forgotten to charge the battery as well, therefore was unable to use my camera for the entire time i was there because it ran out after about two or three shots..

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
buy off of fredmiranda forums or photography-on-the.net

i've bought a lot of second hand stuff off their forums and the people are always great (met a few in person as well).

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
yes you will most likely get the camera and lens stated, but the goodies are all garbage.

Most likely there is no warranty and it may not even be a US model, it most likely is the japanese version.

When I was lookin for new cameras I searched ebay and fr the extra amount I went with BH photo in NY.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Most likely there is no warranty and it may not even be a US model, it most likely is the japanese version.

The cameras are all the same, of course, no matter what their import stream, but it is true that Nikons that are grey market not only don't have a warranty, they won't be repaired by Nikon USA even if you pay them.

paulandre

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
Bay Area, CA
looks like a decent deal to me. however, i love canon!
2.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.