Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
I'd love to see someone do a blind test/study to see how many people can truly tell the difference between ProMotion and non-ProMotion displays (120Hz vs. 80Hz vs. 60Hz)...and how many are just placebo effects.

Also, developers of third-party apps need to enable ProMotion support in order for their apps to refresh faster. It's basically up to them to decide whether battery life or 120Hz is more important. Maybe this 80Hz thing will be a new option for a middle ground/compromise? I wonder how many of our favorite apps don't even support ProMotion. Is there a list somewhere?

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
I'd love to see someone do a blind test/study to see how many people can truly tell the difference between ProMotion and non-ProMotion displays (120Hz vs. 80Hz vs. 60Hz)...and how many are just placebo effects.

Also, developers of third-party apps need to enable ProMotion support in order for their apps to refresh faster. It's basically up to the developer to decide whether battery life or 120Hz is more important. Maybe this 80Hz thing will be a new option for a middle ground/compromise? I wonder how many of our favorite apps don't even support ProMotion. Is there a list somewhere?
I can 100% see a huge difference in having promotion on vs turned off via low power mode on my phone.

It’s night and day.

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014

Also, developers of third-party apps need to enable ProMotion support in order for their apps to refresh faster. It's basically up to them to decide whether battery life or 120Hz is more important. Maybe this 80Hz thing will be a new option for a middle ground/compromise? I wonder how many of our favorite apps don't even support ProMotion. Is there a list somewhere?

In the past, I can’t tell when I go between my iPad Pro vs iPhone XR. I still can’t tell between the same iPad Pro vs my current iPhone 15 Plus. If I look very very closely, I can kinda see the scrolling is less smooth on the phones..but once I let that go and use normally, I don’t notice the difference. I have tried turning off ProMotion and can barely tell the difference during normal use (but I do leave ProMotion on).

Reactions: magicMac

NeoSe7en

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2017
Isn’t that the whole point that it doesn’t hit 120 unless it’s necessary? Scrolling still looks completely fine to me.

NeoSe7en

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2017

It’s one of those things you don’t notice unless you’ve already used it previously. Once you use it you’ll be able to tell immediately when you go back.

redbeard331

macrumors 68040
Jul 21, 2009
Reactions: Ericdjensen

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA

Night and day difference when I go from my iPad Pro to my iPhone 15 as far as smoothness when scrolling

huanbrother

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
In the past, I can’t tell when I go between my iPad Pro vs iPhone XR. I still can’t tell between the same iPad Pro vs my current iPhone 15 Plus. If I look very very closely, I can kinda see the scrolling is less smooth on the phones..but once I let that go and use normally, I don’t notice the difference. I have tried turning off ProMotion and can barely tell the difference during normal use (but I do leave ProMotion on).

This is the mind trick.

I don't think low-power mode on pro phones equals non-pro phones running on full power.

Reasons:

1. ProMotion is not turned off but capped at 60 fps, lowering your average fps observed below 60.

2. Clocked down CPU and GPU cause load time noticeablely longer on demanding tasks.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
iPhones have had adaptable refresh rate in their promotion since 13 Pro.
This is not something secret, but facts written in technical specifications.

If you are just slowly scrolling webpages for example, there is no need for 120hz.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
iPhones have had adaptable refresh rate in their promotion since 13 Pro.
This is not something secret, but facts written in technical specifications.

If you are just slowly scrolling webpages for example, there is no need for 120hz.
There is a video of the user scrolling very fast and the refresh rate utility showing it locked at 80 Hz

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
There is a video of the user scrolling very fast and the refresh rate utility showing it locked at 80 Hz

So, is it the same on previous phones? And no one actually has noticed it before (not measured - but actually noticed)?
Then it's pretty much a nonissue.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Wonder how well this works to preserve battery. Seems like it's 120hz when accelerating and decelerating, 80hz when at speed.

If it looks good, who cares about the specifics? There's a reason they call it ProMotion, not 120Hz.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.