Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Well I heard about this trail that goes up into the hills behind Griffith Observatory so I went out there last night and took some pictures. Here are my 3 favorite shots, let me know what you think. Editing the images for web use caused some artifacts in the sky of the city pictures, try to ignore those if you can :D.
dsc0031800x531.jpg

dsc0042800x531.jpg

dsc0050800x531.jpg

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
Nice shots, I think #2 is probably my favorite in terms of framing plus I'm a sucker for Black & White :)

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
Wow makes me miss going to school in LA. I miss the trails up and around that place. I love the planetarium the guy that does the show is creepy but interesting.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I really like #2 as well. I think I prefer the B&W version though. To me it the color version is too busy and distracts from the juxtapositioning of an old, art deco observatory standing alone against a backdrop of crowded skyscrapers and urban sprawl. Very nice use of the long lens and deep focus.

Lethal

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I like #2 however at could be better had you aimed a bit more to the right had the larger done left of center. Not much reason to keep the very left edge in the frame and could use more space on the right. I do like B&W. You could have used a bit more exposure on the dark domes, they look blocked up but that likely would have required a tripod shot as it appears you were running out of light. I don't mean to be negative, just trying to say something more helpful than "great shot".

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I like #2 however at could be better had you aimed a bit more to the right had the larger done left of center. Not much reason to keep the very left edge in the frame and could use more space on the right. I do like B&W. You could have used a bit more exposure on the dark domes, they look blocked up but that likely would have required a tripod shot as it appears you were running out of light. I don't mean to be negative, just trying to say something more helpful than "great shot".

Thanks I agree with what your saying, I also feel that I could have shot a bit lower, or cropped a bit of the sky out, seems a little too empty up there.

As for the domes, they are better exposed and more defined in the source files, well at least I feel they are. I attached a higher resolution copy, cropped for widescreen monitors.

Edit: I figured I should also include a higher resolution copy of number 3.

Attachments

• wallywide2.jpg
    wallywide2.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 76
  • wallpaper wide.jpg
    wallpaper wide.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 65
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.